Which ones would you pick? Meze 99 Vs. DT770 Vs. T70 Vs. MDR1A Vs. P7 Vs. Momentum 2.0 Vs. AKG 550
Dec 12, 2016 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thisoneguy

New Head-Fier
Looking at getting a new pair of headphones, strictly interested in closed backs for use in multiple environments: home, office, plane, walking outside.

So far I seem to have narrowed it down to the following

Meze 99 Classics
Beyerdynamic DT770
Beyerdynamic T70
Sony MDR 1A
Bower & Wilkins P7
Momentum 2.0 (Over Ear)
AKG 550

Devices I would play it from Ibasso DX80 or Nexus 5x (maybe ZTE Axon 7 soon?)

In terms of sound the things that I care primarily about and are important are having a nice sound stage, being able to pick apart/visualize the instruments being played in a tune, and nice clean bass.

Music played is all over the place but leans heavily on the following genres-

Example of types of artists:

Electronic-
Ricardo Villalobos
Moodymann
Laurel Halo
Voices from the Lake
Moritz Von Oswald
DJ Sprinkles

Hip Hop-
Aesop Rock
Murs
Living Legends
A Tribe Called Quest
People Under the Stairs
MF Doom

Rock-
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Funkadelic
Radiohead
The Doors

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated :D

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 6
Hey, you have some good taste in hip hop my friend.

Now I'm far from an expert on headphones. I've had little experience trying them out but I suppose it's worth mentioning that AKG 550 were on my list as well but when I tried them out they weren't for me. To my (inexperienced) ears the sound was pretty uninspiring and I had a problem with the way they sat on my head. The fit just wasn't quite right and they had this feeling that they were slipping down all the time, which wasn't very comfortable. Luckily I was able to have them returned.

I've yet to decide on which I'm going for myself but I'm leaning towards the DT 770s. I've seen a lot of good reviews.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Well decided to go with the dt770s

Any feedback? I have the AKG K553 Pro's now, but they are a little bass-lite. I'm not a basshead, but a little more low end balanced with "there" but laid back highs is what I'm looking for.

I also have the Meze 99 Classics on my list, but at least one person said he liked the DT770's more.

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 6
If I where you I would've gone for the T70. It's the 3rd best closed back headphone i've ever heard, comparable even to the T5P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back