Which one's the better Amp/USB-DAC combo?
Feb 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rabor

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a relative a first 'portable' Amp/USB-DAC combo for around 250-280 USD max (shipped to- or within EU).

So far I've narrowed my search down to 2 choices; the first being the Audio Corda 3Move & the other being the iBasso D3 Python.

Now, I know the 3Move to be an excellent little amp, but I don't know a lot about it's DAC, & on the other hand; the iBasso looks like a pretty good deal too.. or isn't it? So I was wondering if anyone has compared the 2 on both Amp & DAC. Or is there another option with this budget i could be looking at? The combo doesn't have to be ultra-portable since it will be mainly used in-house, but some portability would be nice to switch between different kinds of sources throughout the house.

The headphone used is an ATH-AD900, & his music's prodominantly classical or Jazz from CD's or lossless (apple).

Btw, does the iBasso charge the battery when connected to USB?

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

No.

I had the same choice a while ago and went for the iBasso D3 purely on cost.

Then I bought a Corda Arietta.
Then I bought some K701s
Now I'm selling some HD595s.

Aaaaaagh....

It never ends.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

Thanks, that made the choice easier already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It never ends.

I know.. trust me..

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, that made the choice easier already.

I know.. trust me..

how far it might go? i was so desperate that i thought about selling one of my kidneys
dt880smile.png

but about home amp/dac i'd deinitly go for audiotrak dr.dac 2. with my hd600 it is the most gorgeous sound i can imagine right now [for the price i guess]

i've tested my amp with k701 and it isn't as good as with hd600.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to get a relative a first 'portable' Amp/USB-DAC combo for around 250-280 USD max (shipped to- or within EU).

So far I've narrowed my search down to 2 choices; the first being the Audio Corda 3Move & the other being the iBasso D3 Python.

Now, I know the 3Move to be an excellent little amp, but I don't know a lot about it's DAC, & on the other hand; the iBasso looks like a pretty good deal too.. or isn't it? So I was wondering if anyone has compared the 2 on both Amp & DAC. Or is there another option with this budget i could be looking at? The combo doesn't have to be ultra-portable since it will be mainly used in-house, but some portability would be nice to switch between different kinds of sources throughout the house.

The headphone used is an ATH-AD900, & his music's prodominantly classical or Jazz from CD's or lossless (apple).

I would suggest the D3, but if you don't absolutely need a portable then get a Travagan's White, which has a DAC just as good as the D3 but will be a more powerful amp.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 8
im not 100% but i think the Corda using the PCM2702 or PCM2707....

I had a small USB DAC with the PCM2702 and it was pretty nice sounding. Ive heard the Corda Move2 and its indeed a great sounding amp...however, didnt test the DAC. So i dunno if its the same DAC used or something different. Maybe a Corda person can chime in and verify.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 8
If the Travagan's White had a battery on board it would be perfect.. but it's a bit impractical to use for his iTouch or laptop around the house or in the garden.

The 3Move is - i think - the slightly better amp & the D3 the slightly better DAC, so it's either flipping a coin, spending more dough, or just building one myself.. - which probably is the best gift for a dad anyways..
wink.gif

Tnx for the feedbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back