Which ones for noob: CX-500, Ne-8, d-JAYs, U.E. 3, or RE2?
Mar 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

IanK

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a total n00b at IEMs and such, but I have searched, and researched here at HeadFi for over 10 hours (at least
confused_face.gif
). I've already seen ClieOS' massive review thread.

After doing a bit of research, I found out that I currently use Sony EX85SL earphones. Previously, I owned a pair of Sennheiser CX300s, but they were average. I broke them and replaced then with $25 Audio Technica earphones (don't know the model), and they were probably just as good. D'oh!!

My problem with the Sony EX85s is that they don't isolate as well as I'd like. I guess these are better for some situations, but when I want isolation, these fail miserably.

- Sennheiser CX-500 (are they the CX300s of the $100 IEMs? If so, I don't want them...)
- NuForce Ne-8
- JAYS d-Jays
- U.E. Super.Fi 3
- Head-Direct RE2 (do they isolate well enough?)
- Shure E3c (don't know if they've changed the model numbers or not).

I'll be using my Nokia 5800 XM. I listen to:
- indie (well-known names would be Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, Burial, Junior Boys (dance-ish)
- dance rock (Cut Copy, which is something like MGMT)
- rap (Clipse, and some old-skool rap).

If you have more recommendations, then great.
wink.gif

Right now, I think I'm favouring the Ne-8s, but I don't know what's good for my type of music? My brother has a pair of cheaper model of Etymonics, which isolate very well. However, they sound really bad.
confused_face.gif

If you had to rate them based on isolation, how would you rank them (from 1 to 6)?? What if I asked you to rate them based on sound quality?

Are there any other earphones that I should consider?
confused.gif

PS: I live in Canada, so cheap American prices do not apply here.
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Nobody has any opinion regarding my list of options?

I've tried to be a good n00b by reading and posting as a somewhat informed person. Perhaps I've provided too much info about myself, and should have done the opposite and not provide much info at all?

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by IanK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody has any opinion regarding my list of options?

I've tried to be a good n00b by reading and posting as a somewhat informed person. Perhaps I've provided too much info about myself, and should have done the opposite and not provide much info at all?

I believe you're over thinking this.
I think the reason for no responses is that you have such a wide price range, with some top-of-the line IEMS (TFP10) and some entry level ones, like the re2.

and I don't think the ne8s would work with your phone any less than the ne7ms. I'd go with them.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 16
Sorry. I always get the models mixed up. It's worst with regards to Sennheiser full headphones.
redface.gif

I didn't mean for the to include such a large range of choices, but judging from some of the posts I've read, people rave about the RE2 and Ne-7m, and yet don't do the same about the CX500. I was wondering whether it was because the CX500s are considered average for their price, but still beat out the RE2s, which are good, but only at their price range?

In Canada, all this stuff is a rip-off, but I found special prices for the UEs and CX500, which is why they're all within $30 (US) of each other.

The most expensive ones I have on the list are the d-JAYS, which will cost me around $110 USD in Canada. I'm sure you can get it cheaper in the US, but I just don't have the same choices.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I don't think the ne8s would work with your phone any less than the ne7ms. I'd go with them.

Well the Ne-8s have a 3 pin connector, while the 4-pin connector of the Ne-7m appears to be different and not work. This is according to someone here. I want the Ne-7m, but if I need to pull it out of the headphone jack a bit to get both earpieces to work, I don't want them.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 16
I'm not sure if this helps, but I own both the Super.Fi 3 and the RE2, and I prefer the sound of the RE2 by far. They're just much more detailed, especially in the treble, although both phones are somewhat lacking in bass quantity. The RE2 does isolate less, however, but I don't think the isolation is too different from the CX300.

As far as the Sennheisers go, I don't think the CX500 would be much of a step up from the CX300, although I haven't tried them. I think you'd have to at least go for the CX95/CX550 (or higher) to see any great improvement.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 16
NE-7 better than NE-8. RE2s are good, but kind of recessed in the bass. Check out ka-boom's review on the d-Jays too, could help your decision.

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks everyone.

I "settled" for the d-JAYS. They were on the upper end of my budget, but the Ne-8s are also expensive in Canada than the US ($89 CAD), so if I'm paying that much for only decent IEMs, I figured I may as well get the pair that several people have been ecstatic about for only a bit more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 16
I am going to use this opportunity to modify some of my previous statements regarding the NuForce NE-8.

I was one of the first people here openly stating my opinion that the NE-8's had a major problem: lack of bass. I felt it seriously compromised the product.

OK, I am going to change the jist of my statement. Yes, the NE-8's are "thin" - when on any average MP3 player the lack of bottom end response is a serious concern.

BUT

The NE-8's have a REALLY GOOD (I am careful about using the work "great", but believe me I feel they are that close to that description but I just don't want to use the word in case other individuals feel differently) midrange, upper midrange and top-end response. REALLY, REALLY GOOD! Like, almost WOW good once the price is factored in. They are fantastically comfortable, isolating, well built, low microphonics, nicely made...

yadda yadda yadda

I got control of my NE-8's lack of bottom end response thanks to my player, the Samsung P2, that has both equalization and a Bass Boost feature. With the P2 on +1 3D, and +4 Bass, with no other equalization, the sound IMHO is just about fantastic. Detailed, balanced (not lush but quite balanced, very acceptable for all but the very loudest conditions) with just the slightest amount of midrange problems, and overall highly enjoyable.

I think that more people need to give the NE-8's a chance BUT I think it needs a clause: Cowon owners with high output, players with bass boost controls or users that have amps need only apply. I have a feeling that the 12 ohm impedance causes some drive difficulties and this is shown by a lack of bottom end response on most systems that (I think) can be overcome either with more power or bass boost. My coworker is considering purchasing a Fiio E5 for use with his new Nano and when it comes in I'll ask to try it in my P2 / NE-8 system to see if my power suspicion is correct.

So if you have a system that fits the bill IMHO DON'T discount the NE-8's!

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's a shame that US ppl cant buy jays

Hmmm.......Stereotype Audio in Markham (just north of the Toronto border) has them, and will deliver to the US. You probably realize that international sales, but yes, I was also surprised. I didn't know that until someone from another forum asked where I bought mine, because he couldn't find them.

LINKETY.

Actually..... Earphones - JAYS

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by IanK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone.

I "settled" for the d-JAYS. They were on the upper end of my budget, but the Ne-8s are also expensive in Canada than the US ($89 CAD), so if I'm paying that much for only decent IEMs, I figured I may as well get the pair that several people have been ecstatic about for only a bit more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool, did you get them yet? What do you think?

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 16
I saw this post earlier, but I wanted to give my new earphones some time before I replied. I have used them for around 8 hours now. Not really a lot of time, but enough to give you an opinion. When I first started using them, the highs hurt my ears. Seriously piercing.
redface.gif
After about 3 hours, they were much better.

Isolation: Sound isolation is far better than my Sonys (which were semi-open, I believe), and slightly better than my CX300s. However, I didn't want total isolation anyway. These hit the sweet spot, IMO. On average, I'm listening to my songs at a far lower volume with these. Perhaps they sit deeper in the ear. I don't know why.

Comfort: Very comfortable. I like the bent shape, which would allow me to lie down with them on and feel completely comfortable. For that reason, they'd be good if you were on an airplane and had your head turned, leaning against the back head-rest.

Random Comment: The cord is 0.6 m long, and it includes a 0.9 m extension. Since my Nokia 5800 XM has a little remote with a mic, the 0.6 metre cord is perfect. This is one of the reasons I was really looking forward to owning these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound Quality: I'm not an expert. I'll admit that right now. However, from my point of view, the highs and mids are great. Highs are very crisp. I'm actually hearing details in songs that I never heard with my Sony, cheap-ish Audio Technica pair, or my Senn CX300s. Everything from my brother's Etymonics came out more flat than this.

Low-mids are good, but the low frequency bass isn't so hot. I don't know what it is with these. I've read several reviews from far more experienced members (EDIT: apparently, you
biggrin.gif
) and none of them observed the same lack of bass.

Saying that, if you crank the volume, the bass doesn't sound all distorted. They don't lose their form.

Using the d-JAYS, I have been listening to:

- Bon Iver (not a good album to test earphones, to be honest.....)
- She & Him album
- Cut Copy album
- Daft Punk's 'Discovery' album (parts of it)
- Burial's 'Untrue' album (parts of it)
- TV on the Radio's 'Cookie Mountain' album
- Bloc Party song 'Halo'.
- Random rap tracks from Clipse.
- Method Man's album 'Tical', which has some of the lowest bass I've ever heard. Don't believe me? Listen to the song 'Biscuits' using a pair of earphones/IEM/headphones where you know really low frequencies will register well.
wink.gif

FYI, my sources have been my white MacBook, and my Nokia 5800.

EDIT TO ADD: The bass is fine. I used one of my Nokia 5800 XM's equiliser presets, and set it to "Rock" and it sounds OK. I don't really like any of the presets, tbh, but this is certainly better than the default. There's also a bass boost equaliser setting, but the bass sounds horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back