Which one ?
Aug 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm curious why you narrowed it down to these two. The HD 201 is a $20-25 headphone. The most you can hope for is listenable sound, but not "hi-fi". They compete against more widely praised headphones in the sub $35 category like the Monoprice DJ Headphones, Panasonic HTF600, JVC HARX700.

The Shures are around $60. They're probably at different levels in equality and at least dipping their toes into "hi-fi". Not a fair comparison.

That said, most people seem to prefer the SRH440 ($80). I've never tried either model but just judging from the photos it seems to be a significant improvement in build quality for a mere $20.

I have a pair of SRH840s ($150-$200) in the mail that I'm quite excited about but that's a big jump. Apparently the SRH440 is the "bang-for-buck" sweetspot when it comes to Shure.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 7
I would ASSUME due to the prices that the Shures are better. Sennheiser and Shure are both very good brands and on the classy/conservative side of things from what I've experienced. With a couple of exceptions, they seem to increase in quality with price in a predictable manner.

There are more experienced posters on this forum than me when it comes to headphones, but I have good experience with audio in general and I know this: The frequency range never tells the whole story. The distribution of sensitivity within that range, along with the acoustic environment its emitted into, is what dictates the "flavor" of the audio. A cheap headphone could have a massive frequency range and still sound like a tin can if all of the sensitivity is spiked in one area.

What kind of music do you usually listen to?
Do you prefer the heavy bass and sparkly treble of a "scooped mids" sound, or the detail and energy of a "pushed mids" sound?

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I would ASSUME due to the prices that the Shures are better. Sennheiser and Shure are both very good brands and on the classy/conservative side of things from what I've experienced. With a couple of exceptions, they seem to increase in quality with price in a predictable manner.

There are more experienced posters on this forum than me when it comes to headphones, but I have good experience with audio in general and I know this: The frequency range never tells the whole story. The distribution of sensitivity within that range, along with the acoustic environment its emitted into, is what dictates the "flavor" of the audio. A cheap headphone could have a massive frequency range and still sound like a tin can if all of the sensitivity is spiked in one area.

What kind of music do you usually listen to?
Do you prefer the heavy bass and sparkly treble of a "scooped mids" sound, or the detail and energy of a "pushed mids" sound?

never min . . i got the 202, thanks for replying
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back