Which one to get? Fostex HP-P1 vs Sony PHA-1
Apr 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Azsamael

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have these two DAC/Amps?

I am deciding between the two and was wondering how they compare. Every where I looked no one seemed to have a direct comparison between the two.

I use a Fiio E7 now.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 31
Fostex is a step above the Sony.
Cheaper to get a vmoda verza which is a step side ways from the sony.

But better to get in on the pre-order for the hifi-m8.

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 31
Please forgive me if im not posting in the best place. Will the hp-p1 work with the iphone remote cable. I have a pair of ah-d7100 's and noticed the supplied iphone cable does not work with some portable amps like the audinst amp-hp. So now im looking for amp that does or another solution (adaptor or what not). I really want a fostex hp-p1! Thanks for your time guys.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 31
are yoou saying that, vmode verza its better than the fostex and the sony?'can you explain please
Fostex is the best for sound quality out of the three imho.
Sony and the Versa have similar sound quality which is not far off from the fostex.
The size and price of the verza makes it attractive.
I have the Fostex but will eventually sell it as I have a hifi-m8 on the way.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 31
The Fostex also allows you to use the unit as a DAC only, which means you can run your iDevice through an external amp.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 31
I should go on the HiFi-m8 thread and write how I'm buying the Sony.  
size]

May 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 31
I tryed both recently.

PHA-1 sounds more lively and HP-P1 is more balanced, but there isn't a big difference. Maybe HP-P1 is a little better, but it may also because the PHA-1 I used is totally new. I then chose PHA-1 just because it's cheaper.

There is a soft skin on HP-P1 which is very thoughtful design for protecting devices scrape each other. However the one I've tried was used about three months length, and the skin was damaged, so kinda unpleasant appearance.

Well, I don't know how my friend used it so I can't say it's a weakness, but you may consider this as a reminder.

May 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 31
I had decided on the HP-P1. It is a bit lacking in the low end. At least that's my observation. I really like it though. The clarity and separation is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back