Which one to choose
Jan 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bice.

New Head-Fier
Hello!

So, i decided to buy a new headphone, but I don't know which one to choose. Now, I have a Sennheiser HD 515. It's powered by an ASUS Xonar D1, and a JVC AX-142's headphone out. I'm planning to build a new headphone amplifier by this circuit.

Well, I don't know that if I build that amp, will it better the enough to not buy one of these headphones!?

AKG HD172
Sennheiser HD595
Beyerdynamic DT440

I know, I have to listen to those headphones first, but before I do that I would like to ask you to seek your opinions.

My musical taste is the next:
I usually listening to progressive rock - rock. (King Crimson, Phideaux, Genesis, Queen, Pink Floyd and other miscellaneous musics...)
Beside this I listening to classical music sometimes. (Beethoven, Mozart, Strauss...etc.)
Furthermore, I listening to electronical music and ambient.(Mr. Oizo, Justice, Current Value, Counterstrike, Limewax...)

So, you can see I listening to very various musics.
smily_headphones1.gif

The question is: Which one to choose. Or if you know better headphones in this price category, just tell me.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the bad english.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 12
General consensus:

Rock: Grado
Classical: Sennheiser/AKG (HD650 and K701)
Electronical: Not too sure right now, all I can think of is Ultrasone, but I have no idea, sorry.

Grado's can pass amplification, where as the HD650 really do need a powerful amplifier. Just mentioning those as they are a good goal for you in the future to save up for. I would skip the HD595 all together, a lot of people dislike it and the HD600, HD650 and HD800 are really what you want if choosing Sennheiser. Sorry, I do not know anything else as far as the models you mentioned.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General consensus:
Rock: Grado
Classical: Sennheiser/AKG (HD650 and K701)

I second the motion.
If you like, you may also include in your options Grado SR60 or AKG K701.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Thank you for the replies!
But I have a little problem. Yes, I know: "sorry about you wallet"
biggrin.gif

The AKG is 2x expensive than my budget. The Grado is cheap enough, but with the delivery costs is almost the same than the AKG K701.

So, if you have to choose between those 3 headphone, which one would you choose?

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Sorry, can't help more than what I have. I do not know much about lower end models. But the HD595 should be off your list, it really isn't a great headphone. They are all pretty low-fi though. Have you thought of selling your HD515 and getting a better model like HD600, AKG K701 or Grado SR-225 or Alessandro MS-1/2? Used, the HD600 and K701 and SR-225 are (should be) under $200us.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 12
I would get an Alessandro MS-1i. I have them and they are great. If you do get Grados of some sort be sure to get some bowl pads if you don't have them already.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 12
I live in Hungary, and i can't buy Grados here. I think i can buy from the internet, but it will be extremely expensive because of the delivery. Don't worth it. The AKG and the Sennheiser (k701, HD600 is too expensive) 400 USD here... I have found a used hd600 for ~200$, but its 10 years old (according to the seller's note) and USED. I don't want to buy used headphones. I shorted to list to the AKG HD172, and the Beyerdynamic DT400. I can't, and I dont want to buy Grado.

Thanks for the advices!

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I'd buy the HD172.

Thanks! I prefer AKG to for the steril sound. I think I going to buy that piece at the next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back