which one sounds better for westone 3?
Sep 28, 2009 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

torchwood1203

Head-Fier
recently i decide to get a new player to replace my ipod touch...
now i find it's hard to choose between cowon s9 and the sony x-series
which one sounds more fitting with the westone 3?
it seems quite extreme for the cowon s9+westone 3 combination... some people says they don't fit at all but some says the sound from this combination is godlike..
cowon s9 seems good enough for me as the file format it supports seems better and it's cheaper....
but is the UI of the cowon s9 really that bad? and how is that torch screen ?
and is the setting really complicated?
the design and UI of the x-series looks awesome and it's SQ without spend a lot of time on the EQ seems attractive.....
so..which one should i get

(p.s. sorry for my bad english :p)

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 5
i've seen someone here using the S9 -> Fiio E5 -> W3 setup. and i remember him saying that he quite like it.
i've not tried myself though
normal_smile .gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Anyone else have thoughts on the W3 + S9 combo? I'm almost definitely getting the S9, but I'd like to confirm that it's a good fit. I've read that the S9 goes well with warm headphones, and since the W3s are on the bright side, I'm worried that the highs may get too harsh.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 5
My 2 cents...

First, what kind of sound signature do you prefer? Do you like a warmer and fun sound or do you prefer a cold and analytical sound?

This is the time to choose the player that brings the sound signature do you like to your phones.

I also suggest read about other options for players...

Peter

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardozo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2 cents...

First, what kind of sound signature do you prefer? Do you like a warmer and fun sound or do you prefer a cold and analytical sound?

This is the time to choose the player that brings the sound signature do you like to your phones.

I also suggest read about other options for players...

Peter

I generally like a U-shaped sound signature, with clean and hard bass being a priority. I'm not sure whether that's either "warm" or "cold", I just like good instrument separation, detail, bright and clear treble, and soundstage. Since I'm pairing with the Westone 3s, my main worry is that the player will have either too-sharp treble or muddy bass, but I doubt this would happen with a quality player.

Which player(s) do you have? The reason I'm asking about the S9 is because I need the wide range of audio and video formats it provides. I hear the Sony X-Series Walkman is good, but it doesn't even play WAV files like the iPod does. Any other high-sound quality players that play FLAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back