Which one should I get? (urgent)
Jun 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ethereal Sound

500+ Head-Fier
So I asked my dad for a pair of RE-0 and he contacted me saying that he could either get that or get me some Beats by Dr. Dre Tour Mobile with Control Talk In-Ear Headphones. I don't exactly know much about the beats but I don't really like them as they seem very over hyped. Could someone fill me in on the build and sound quality? Also, normally, I wouldn't really consider the beats but my dad said he knows someone who's selling them for $30 each and they're real. How big of a sound difference is there? Also, if it matters, I mostly listen to rock, instrumental, classical, metal, R&B and ballads. Thanks~

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 6
RE-0 = analytical and revealing, with a fairly good bass response (when amped)

Beats Tour = dark, muddy, complete garbage.

Go with the RE-0. If you prefer bass, look into a pair of refurbished Monster Turbines or the "new" Atrio X (which is really the M5 as it has the MG5 driver, but re-branded.)

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 6
I have heard the real beats and the overall SQ is only a small step up from the skull candy full metal jackets, and as you will know, those sound pretty awful. the mids and treble are very clouded sounding and really lacks transparency while the bass is loose and not very well controlled. The SQ on those are worth at most $40 Retail price imho....

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you all so much for your input. So I will not be getting those beats for sure. Also, I will be getting a Cowon J3 soon and I was wondering which headphones within a $130 price range would be good for the aforementioned music genres in FLAC on the Cowon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back