Which one should I get first?
Nov 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wes1099

100+ Head-Fier
So i have an HP laptop with a super crappy integrated sound chip, and i have a pair of sennheiser HD 558s, and I want to get a creative X-fi usb sound card, and a cmoy RA1 diy amp, but i can only afford one of them right now. Which one should i get first? I figured that if i got the amp first i would just be amplifying crappy sound, but if i got the creative sound card first, i would have good sound, but it still wouldn't be at it's full potential because it wasn't amplified.

I wanted to know what you guys thought. Should i get the creative sound card first or the diy cmoy RA1 amp first?

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi!

You can get a Fiio E07K (DAC + AMP) or a Fiio E10 (DAC + AMP).

Best Luck!

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 11
  So i have an HP laptop with a super crappy integrated sound chip, and i have a pair of sennheiser HD 558s, and I want to get a creative X-fi usb sound card, and a cmoy RA1 diy amp, but i can only afford one of them right now. Which one should i get first? I figured that if i got the amp first i would just be amplifying crappy sound, but if i got the creative sound card first, i would have good sound, but it still wouldn't be at it's full potential because it wasn't amplified.

I wanted to know what you guys thought. Should i get the creative sound card first or the diy cmoy RA1 amp first?

I would prefer unamplified good sound to amplified crappy sound

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm guessing your laptop will only have a headphone out jack and not a line level output.  Therefore somewhat amplified crappy audio into RA-1 amplifier = even louder crappy and distorted audio.   I would buy the sound card first and see where you are then, you might not need the RA-1 at all.

As "Me x3" says, instead of the X-Fi and RA-1 you would be better to save up for an external dac/amp combo like the Fiio instead.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 11
  Hi!

You can get a Fiio E07K (DAC + AMP) or a Fiio E10 (DAC + AMP).

Best Luck!

I'm guessing your laptop will only have a headphone out jack and not a line level output.  Therefore somewhat amplified crappy audio into RA-1 amplifier = even louder crappy and distorted audio.   I would buy the sound card first and see where you are then, you might not need the RA-1 at all.

As "Me x3" says, instead of the X-Fi and RA-1 you would be better to save up for an external dac/amp combo like the Fiio instead.

I would get a all in one DAC + amp, but I want to get a DAC separate from the amp because I want to be able to try different DAC and amp combinations, and I want to get a DIY amp so i can easily switch between chips, and the DIY amp I want to build will look awesome because it will be in an Altoids tin.

Do you guys have any recommendations for DACs?

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 11
Actually you can use E07K as a separate DAC. If you get E07K and Fiio L7 (about 10 extra dollars) you can also use the E07K only as a DAC (if you want to try different amps in the future)

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 11
And, of course, you can use E07K amp with other DACs.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Fiio E10 is a little bit cheaper. I think it is around 75 dollars new (amazon)

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 11
I saw another thread of yours that you have a $50 budget for a DAC, I would say go for the Hifimediy Sabre DAC, there are a few different versions, it costs $30 and upwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back