Which one should I buy?
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dinimuetter

New Head-Fier
Thanks for checking out my query; I'm pretty new to the head-fi community so I'm a little bit uncertain around these things. I've already owned a pair of HD 518 (love them even though I think their bass is a little bit heavy at time) and I'm now looking for a new pair of full-sized closed earphone to commute and study in the library with, that means that it goes straight from my phone to the cans. My budget is sub $100 but I'm willing to go over that; we're talking about a poor international student here so my pocket is fairly shallow. 
I've spent the last day and a half looking through guides etc. and I've narrowed things down to these headphones:
Superlux HD668b (currently the strongest looking contender): $45
JVC Ha-S500: $55 
Philips Citiscape Uptown: $80
Philips Citiscape Downtown: $20
Shure SRH440: $99
Creative Aura Live!: $83 (people say they're only $60 but I can't seem to find that deal anywhere)

What confuses me the most is the Superlux gets a ton of good reviews but never appear on places like InnerFidelity's Hall of Fame or the Over Performing, Over Achieving threads. Furthermore, I'm a bit worried about cable breakage since it happens to me pretty frequently, a pair of earbuds barely last 4 months with me, so I'm skeptical regarding the Uptown, JVC and CAL!. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 6
The Superlux HD668Bs are semi-open headphones, so not the best choice for use in a library.
I do like the sound of my JVC-HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal gray) folding headphones.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for the reply!
How do the sound quality of the HD668b compare to the the JVC? Also, how easy is it to recable the JVC? I'm pretty sure that I'd have to do it once in a while.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 6
Personally I'd pick up a pair of these.

http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=pro+monitor

$70 shipped to your door.

They're a rebrand of Brainwavz HM-5 and Fischer Audio FA-003.

Very good headphones for $70

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thank you for the reply!
How do the sound quality of the HD668b compare to the the JVC? Also, how easy is it to recable the JVC? I'm pretty sure that I'd have to do it once in a while.

My HD668Bs stopped working a few months after I bought them,
more my fault, can't really blame the headphones.
Have never thought about recabling the HA-S500s
and have not yet tried to figure out how to open them up.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Personally I'd pick up a pair of these.

http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=pro+monitor

$70 shipped to your door.

They're a rebrand of Brainwavz HM-5 and Fischer Audio FA-003.

Very good headphones for $70

This sounds like my cup of tea, thanks!

My HD668Bs stopped working a few months after I bought them,
more my fault, can't really blame the headphones.
Have never thought about recabling the HA-S500s
and have not yet tried to figure out how to open them up.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll hold on for a little bit longer since cabling is a huge thing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back