Which one of these will make my music sound best (low-budget)
Jun 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tryagainplss

New Head-Fier
Help me choose between the Superlux HD661 and the HD668B

Hey everyone. Let me just say that I've been lurking on head-fi.org for quite a while and finally decided to register an account and post this thread, on what is arguably the most reputable forum as far as I know.

Alright, I'm currently looking to buy a pair of headphones for myself.

Now, I would like to use these headphones for slight gaming, movies, but especially for music; that's the most important thing. I would like for my music to sound the best. But of course, I only have a certain amount of money.

Well, for quite some time now, I've been eyeing the Sennheiser HD 201 and the Superlux HD 661. I think both are great, but I really need help to make sure I'm purchasing the right thing. I am also very sure that there are other options out there, that's also another reason why I'm posting this thread.

And because I'm from the Philippines, my options are VERY limited because there aren't a lot of stores selling good pairs of headphones.

So I would like to hear your thoughts about my problem and I hope that you all can give me advice to make my music experience as good as it can be.

Other info:
I'm only using onboard sound. But don't worry, I am planning to buy a good quality soundcard in the future.

If you guys would like to suggest me another pair of headphones, please refer to this list: (Budget is PHP 2,500.00)
http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=X_Eggy

Also, I know that the kind of music I like is going to affect my choice. I'd like to let you guys know that recently I have been mostly playing music by Coldplay (Top priority), John Mayer, Adele, The Script, Maroon 5, The Jezabels, Taylor Swift (Don't Judge xD), A Fine Frenzy, and a lot of other bands/artists.

Also, here are the 25 most played songs in my iTunes (outdated, but still matters)
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj387/tryagainplss/25mostplayedsongs.png

~Thank you all so much, and I am looking forward to your help.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 12
Superlux HD668B for PHP 1800.00 looks like the best deal for the money. It's a high value headphone that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Sennheiser HD201.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 12
Updated the OP with some relevant(?) information.

Superlux HD668B for PHP 1800.00 looks like the best deal for the money. It's a high value headphone that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Sennheiser HD201.

I see. How do they compare to the Superlux HD 661? Considering the HD 661 is more expensive ever so slightly, it must be better in some way (Or am I wrong to assume that more expensive = better ?)

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Updated the OP with some relevant(?) information.

I see. How do they compare to the Superlux HD 661? Considering the HD 661 is more expensive ever so slightly, it must be better in some way (Or am I wrong to assume that more expensive = better ?)

They're not necessarily better. The build quality is better on the HD661 and they are more treble heavy with less bass compared to the HD668B. This is a good thread.

I'd also pick a Superlux over the HTX7 any day.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
They're not necessarily better. The build quality is better on the HD661 and they are more treble heavy with less bass compared to the HD668B. This is a good thread.

I'd also pick a Superlux over the HTX7 any day.

Better build quality means better life-span right?

I also, I already read that thread, and it says that the HD661 is slightly treble oriented and the HD668B is slightly bass oriented. I'm in favor of treble on my music, but not too much that the sound of cymbals drown out everything else. But I don't really know which one I would like better until I have a testrun with the both of them.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes, I much prefer my modded HD668 B, I was just thinking in low budget, well built headphones.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 12
Cheap Akg apart from K81/518 are not very good.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Hey guys, I'm about head out in a few hours. And right now I am torn between the Superlux HD661 and the HD668B. They're both really good, and they're both well within my budget so it doesn't matter which one is cheaper or more expensive. I just want to know which pair is better in terms of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back