Which one next: AKG271, BeyerDT880 or Sony SA5K ?
Dec 14, 2005 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
Really am enjoying my Woo3 and Senn 650's and occassionaly rock out with my Alessandro MS2's but feel the need to buy myslef an Xmas present. A nice pair of sealed cans (AKG271) would come in handy from time to time. The Beyers come highly recommended and are being obsoleted. Would hate to miss out on a pair if they are that good. But the Sony's SA5k keeps calling my name for some reason (cool looking cans but people either luv 'em or hate 'em). Help a fellow out. Give me a recommendation. Current or previous owners please.

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 7
My sealed can collection includes K271, A900, CD3000, HD280 and HD25, as a sealed can does indeed come in handy from time to time.

The 271 serves as my office headphone, largely because of its auto-shutoff feature. It's a good all-around headphone, but it lacks something. I can't pin down what it is in frequency-spectrum terms; all I can say is that despite being very accurate-sounding, it doesn't really involve me very deeply in the music. It's rarely hard for me to take it off when the phone rings.

If you like to rock out, the A900 is a very good sealed choice. Fun-sounding, lots of bass, easy to drive. I find it too heavy in the bass and a little too strangely colored in the mid/vocal range for all-purpose listening, but it grooves really well with instrumental jazz and rock.

The CD3K is sort of semi-sealed: it doesn't leak (or at least leakage is pretty minimal), but it doesn't isolate you from outside sounds to any useful degree. Of the closed cans I've listed here, it's my favorite. Very balanced, with an ultra-clear hyper-detailed presentation that some have compared to the SA5K. (Its looks, however, are not comparable to those of the SA5K, if that's what's really grabbing you.) If you want a sound signature different from those you're experiencing now but nevertheless extremely high-quality and in a non-leaky form, this might very well be your choice.

I don't like the HD280 much and keep it around only for its high isolation. This is the can I would lend out at my old office when someone cam around and said, "extended conference call in the cubicle next to mine, help me."

The HD25 is fun, easy to groove to, sealed/isolating, portable and easy to drive. If that covers some useful extra bases for you, you might consider it. Its bass-heavy presentation tends to put vocals a bit in the background, though, and IMO it's not useful for classical at all.

I'm afraid I can't speak to the DT880 or SA5K. Good luck with your choice!

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 7
i have both the 880s and the 271s. The more I use it, the more I realize it's impossible to choose between the two. I know this goes against what many say, but the AKGs IMHO have a wider and more distinct soundstage. I've proven that to myself with numerious samples. Bass is tigher on the beyers, with more impact. There's also definitely more treble. It's great for critical listening and excels when that's the mood I'm in. But most of the time I actually prefer just enjoying my AKGs. There's just a sweetness to it that makes the music come alive.Similar to what fewtch was describing in his K501 post. I got both at the same time, so it's not the "hey, this one is newer so that's why I'm using it more" syndrome. But you couldn't get me to part with either. They serve their respective roles perfectly.

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Of the headphones listed, I've got the Senns, the Beyers, and the Sony.

The Sony would be a completely different sound signature if that's what you want. There's a current thread debating the relative merits of the SA5k and the HD650. Lots of impressions there.
evil_smiley.gif

The DT880 strikes me as a brighter HD650 with a wider sound stage and a more balanced low end. It lacks the warmth of the Senn. I've read that the new DT880 is supposed to a cosmetic redesign only. Same sound.

My only sealed headphone is the A900. Good isolation, highs and lows; the midrange can sound a little hollow.

BW

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 7
WHy are the AudioTechnicas only available in Japan?

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 7
Need more recommendations/experiences please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back