Which one is you: DIY or buy?
May 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #32 of 60
I buy it myself.
And then I mod it.
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #35 of 60
From my first amplifier kit in 1969, to home improvements and repairs. I'm mostly a DIY guy. Never built a headphone amp though.

May 3, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 60
I haven't held a soldering iron since 8th grade and have no idea on how things work. I think DIY-ing would be a great expereince but since I can't DIY for the life of me, I'm a buy guy.

May 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #38 of 60
I'm not into electronics DIY because i lack the necessary skills, i would surely do it if i was able to. However i'm quite good at working wood so i've built a turntable out of an old piece of plastic from the 80's , and recently a pair of speakers.

May 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #40 of 60
Where is the option for both. Once I am done buying I am going to focus on diy. Im always take pride in what I can make but enjoy the benifits of being able to buy also.

May 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #41 of 60

Quote:
I buy it myself.
And then I mod it.
evil_smiley.gif

x2

Usually to the point where I break something...

I do try to diy whenever possible. I love the smell of solder smoke (yeah, probably a bad thing) and it makes me feel good when I successfully smd solder with the fat tip of my cheapo soldering iron.

I also plan on building a pair of ZOB speakers in the summer, which involves more woodwork then actual soldering. I'm wavering between making a tube amp and just buying one. Leaning to the latter because frankly, I don't trust myself with high voltages. 15 is too young to die.

May 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #43 of 60

Quote:
x2

Usually to the point where I break something...

I do try to diy whenever possible. I love the smell of solder smoke (yeah, probably a bad thing) and it makes me feel good when I successfully smd solder with the fat tip of my cheapo soldering iron.

I also plan on building a pair of ZOB speakers in the summer, which involves more woodwork then actual soldering. I'm wavering between making a tube amp and just buying one. Leaning to the latter because frankly, I don't trust myself with high voltages. 15 is too young to die.

That describe me pretty well
biggrin.gif

The only real problem is, finding quality components (caps, opamp) is hard in Malaysia, and expensive as well. And time is not on my side, I just bought X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB because I don't have time building one, nor that I have the access to buying the component to build something like Bantam DAC, plus, I don't have proper equipment too

May 9, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #44 of 60
DIY or buy?

Why not both?

May 9, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #45 of 60
I dislike "DIY" because of its IKEA like notation. If I want something, I'll buy it. If I want something that no one has had before or ever will, which unfortunately happens to all my crap, I fabricate it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back