Which one is the best of these
Nov 15, 2015 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CoolTrinity

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a pair of headphones for home use. I listen to electronics, hip hop, some classical, rock, and pop. I listen with an iPod Nano. Which one should I get?
My considerations:
Seenheiser HD 598
HD 251
Stick sith my current Beats Studio v2
Momentum
Momentum on ear
V-Moda M100
Yamaha Pro 500
ATH-M50 (or an X)
Also, do I need a portable amp and between the Fiio E10, E6, which should I get?
Tks for your replies
Vote here: http://strawpoll.me/6019138

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 7
I voted M100. I don't know who would ever vote the HD598 for that music type to get the best experience in those genres. Please don't do that to yourself. The only genre the 598 might do better in than the M100 would be classical. YMMV, as always though.

The M100 is one of the best bass headphones I've used that aren't bloated and are easy to listen to for long periods. The stock pads on them sound better than the XL pads you can upgrade to, IMO. They're comfortable with the stock pads or the XL. I never needed an amp for the M100.

I wasn't a fan of any of the momentums. The signature just didn't get along with me, it was very dry and boring.

The M50 is a good choice as well, especially if you get some HM5 pads to put on them. The stock pads are ok, but they sit on your ears. I got the best performance and comfort out of them with pleather HM5 pads that go around your ear. No amp necessary.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Momentum Over Ears, I love mine for low drive power situations, awesome sounding phones.
AND you can still find V1's new for peanuts.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 7
I agree with PETEREK on the M100 for your headphone of choice. Pretty great sounding for a bassy can, amazing form factor that is convenient for portability, and they sound consistently good, in my opinion, across all genres of music. There are some that do certain genres better, but that could be said of every 'phone out there. The only thing I don't agree with is the comfort. Stock pads were extremely uncomfortable for me after about 30 minutes of use. The XL ear cushions, however, are amazingly comfortable, and they don't alter the original sound too much. You won't need an amp for the M100 as they're pretty efficient (32 ohms) and can be used from any device without the need for extra power. Oh, and on top of everything else, they're built like a tank but still light enough for hours of use.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Inline answers:

Momentum
 - Good, but look up the sennheiser veil. Basically there's are part of their tuning that cuts into the mids.

Momentum on ear
 - Don't, they don't sound so good.

ATH-M50 (or an X)
 - I tired those recently. Pretty good I can see why they are recommended often. Good details, but bass is colored.

Also, do I need a portable amp and between the Fiio E10, E6, which should I get?
- People will say you need an amp sometimes. Some will say it make everything better. Unless the issue is drive-ability there is likely no benefit. I have tried over and over to see if I can tell the differences between my phone directly to my HE400s and an amp. And I can't tell the difference at all. You'll read a lot of folks who thinks the HE400s needs an amp. Well maybe they just listen differently to me.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks guys :)))) Appreciations to you guys :)) Special thanks to PETEREK :))) I was going for the HD 598, but after hearing you guys say that the HD 598 lacks good bass, I switched my option to the M100 instead. I don't mind the uncomfort.

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Go with the M100, Ive had mine for 2 years and they are great. They are comfortable have great bass without sacrificing to much in the highs. They do not need a lot of power to sound good, your iPod will do just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back