Which one is the best headphone for price with forward mids? Examples inside.
Oct 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nrocket

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good headphone value for the price and I need some suggestions. I need a good headphone for a library or school setting that could sometimes be loud and sometimes not. The sound leakage can not be alot because of the disturbance to other people. Also a good amount of isolation would be nice but not a deal breaker. They need to be durable and portable all purpose. Preferably needed without an amp.

I currently own the ATH m50's from Audio Technica and I want something with a different sound sig. I love the detail of the m50's but I want something less harsh and grainy in the highs, More forward mids, and more bass than the m50's.

I have also owned Sennheiser cx150 IEMs and I really loved the sound. I have three gripes with these in that the highs are not detailed enough, the bass is a little muddy and loose, and they keep breaking on me after a couple weeks of being throw in a backpack. 

I am ready to move on to something a little more high quality and I was looking at these.

Shure se215 The limited edition with slightly more bass.

Velodyne vpulse IEMs

Furutech ADL H-118 (not sure about powering here. Can anyone clarify?)

Velodyne vTrue

HiFi Mann RE-400 (maybe)

All of these have a sound sig I think I would like based on reviews online.

Which one is the best value?

Any other suggestions? I do not want to surpass $300 though.

Thanks,

Nrocket

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 11
The only one on your list I own is the SE215 Ltd. (Extended bass) and for what you are looking for they would be great. Shure have some of the sweetest midrange of any headphone/IEM. If you want more of a neutral sound go which the regular SE215 . One of the best bargains at approximately $100.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 11
The M50s have some bass emphasis. If you want more forward mids and more bass, than that would have to be in comparison to the highs, right? Seems you like you need headphones with a little bit of a darker sound signature. If you want these for portable use, the Beyerdynamic DT1350s would be worth a listen. While I wouldn't describe them as having more bass than the M50s, definitely better. And I did find the DT1350s to have a little more rolled off treble than the M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back