WHICH ONE?!!! DT990, SR80, AKG K612, HD558, AT AD500x
Nov 21, 2015 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bradley47

New Head-Fier
Having a really hard time choosing between these for at home use, in term of priorities: Sound>Comfort>Design, thanks
popcorn.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 10
  Having a really hard time choosing between these for at home use, in term of priorities: Sound>Comfort>Design, thanks
popcorn.gif

Hmmm.  What kinds of music are you most interested in?  Given that all headphones have trade-offs, are there
any must-have characteristics you have in mind? 

I have the DT990, but not the other models on your list.  The DT990 has a pleasing bass and terrific sense of space. 
The highs may be a bit much sometimes.  That only bothers me, honestly, on harsh recordings. In return for those
lifted lows and highs -- sometimes the mids seem a little far away.

It may be that the HD650 is the best headphone in my collection and I've liked the other Sennheisers I've heard f
or their rich tonality.  Shooting in the dark, I think the HD558 may be the best all-rounder on your list.  But I'm willing
to retract based on what you say about your preferred listening material. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 10
Thankyou for your time, I think I'm sold on the limited edition black DT990 pro! I like bright headphones unlike some :) Does an eq "fix" the mids somewhat?
Thanks

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 10
  Thankyou for your time, I think I'm sold on the limited edition black DT990 pro! I like bright headphones unlike some :) Does an eq "fix" the mids somewhat?
Thanks

Definitely you can round out the response with EQ -- and you'll still be left with a very big sound.  Give it a little boost from 400 Hz to about 4000 Hz.  And if you want, fill in the sub bass down below 40 -- but pretty optional so far as I'm concerned.  And after lifting up the middle... you may well want to lower the Mt Everest  sitting at 10 kHz, just a bit.

I nearly always EQ them when I'm listening to opera or anytime I need more clarity in the vocals and main instrumental voices.

I listen to practically anything, EDM, some rock, electronic, pop, just decent music really

I think it will do well there, either EQ'd or with their naked response. 

Good luck!

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 10

Thanks for your time! Looking forward to my limited edition black DT990s 

Here they are if you haven't already seen them:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010IJ9W1U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A35ATNU92FJ7LH

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 10

Thanks for your time! Looking forward to my limited edition black DT990s 

Here they are if you haven't already seen them:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010IJ9W1U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A35ATNU92FJ7LH

Very nice!  Beyerdynamics does a great job with styling and in my experience their full size headphones are eminently comfortable.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 10

Kinda just made a U turn and went with the HD 558s after hearing about the nice mids and more laid back sound while also having a detachable cable! I tried them in a real brick and mortar shop and they were lush, quite laid back but nice :)

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 10

Kinda just made a U turn and went with the HD 558s after hearing about the nice mids and more laid back sound while also having a detachable cable! I tried them in a real brick and mortar shop and they were lush, quite laid back but nice :)

Even the HD 650s have that laid back personality.  But it may be once you start listening, and find the groove, then that may not matter.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back