Which one do you prefer, RS-1 or K701?
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 76
they are both great phones.

the K701 works well with a wide range of musical genres. while the sound is not terribly lively (colored) or the bass deep, the imaging is very realistic (a wide but present soundstage) and the headphone exhibits an overall clean, tight, balanced tonality.

the RS1 by comparison has an overall warmer presentation, although the k701 is not bright, as the dt880s tend to sometimes be. the rs1 has very good bass response with a full mid-range, but the bass does not extend deep like the hd650s. the soundstage is narrow but this adds to the headphones's upfront (intimate) musical presentation. i find it best for jazz, folk-type music, recitals, and other live recordings. and i believe there is some truth to the statement that the rs1 is not suited well for most classical music.

as far as headphones go, i think the rs1, k701, and hd650 are three of the best to own with each offering something very different. i would like to spend some more time with the gs1000 and the w5000 to see how they compare.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701s just came off as too sterile for me, and the treble seemed a bit harsh. The RS-1s are marvels. Musical and fun. They are much better me thinks
rs1smile.gif

Wait, this can't be... We actually agree on something.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 76
I was starting to get second thoughts about buying a k601 after reading this thread, but then I saw the rs1 is $700 on amazon. Can you find it for cheaper, cause as it stands the rs1 is 3 times the price of the $240 k701.

Edit: and the white color is one of the things that made me want the k601 over the 701. I dont like white headphones, and I curse steve jobs every time I look at my white im716s.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was starting to get second thoughts about buying a k601 after reading this thread, but then I saw the rs1 is $700 on amazon. Can you find it for cheaper, cause as it stands the rs1 is 3 times the price of the $240 k701.

i think there is an almost brand new pair of rs1 in the fs forum for $575. maybe you could negotiate that price even lower. and there seems to be a seller on ebay who regularly sells new rs1 for a bin price of $550. just have to check there off and on.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: and the white color is one of the things that made me want the k601 over the 701. I dont like white headphones, and I curse steve jobs every time I look at my white im716s.

you may find one used for the price of two of those k701's, or so
plainface.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, this can't be... We actually agree on something.
biggrin.gif

ha ha
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 76
First off let me say that the RS-1's are superior headphones and a compliment to any audiophiles collection, however, I prefer the AKG 701's over the RS-1's in overall performance, comfort and styling.

Actually I would rate my top 3 cans in this order:

1 - AKG 701

2 - Sennheiser HD650

3 - Grado RS-1

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 76
^ Care to elaborate?

Overall the Grado headphone is the best, because it suits so many genres and has that intoxicating "punch" that you can never really shun.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Care to elaborate?

Overall the Grado headphone is the best, because it suits so many genres and has that intoxicating "punch" that you can never really shun.

Sure, essentially it's all a matter of personal preference for me or anyone for that matter. I choose the AKG's because I primarily listen to Jazz and Vocals and in terms of clarity of midtones and high's they simply did it for me. I'm not heavy into bass and the Grado's have a definite edge if your into a deep pronounced bass sound.

Comfort hands down the AKG's were unsurpassed IMO

And as for styling, the AKG's were more pleasing to my eye, some people don't care for the white "iPod look", they never appeared that way to me, and coincidentally I've received more compliments from them at work than I would have thought (I work in animation so I'm around many artists).

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #25 of 76
listening to music is not about having "fun". it's about experiencing pleasure and receiving the secret language of the song. Grados may be "fun" but they don't play music the way it was meant to be played by the artist. Thus you are not receiving the same message because the secret language has now been defiled and desecrated. to truly receive the message of the music you need something like the K701s. They give an accurate transmission of the musical tongue.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
listening to music is not about having "fun". it's about experiencing pleasure and receiving the secret language of the song.

I'd argue this, but it's pointless given that we all listen to music for different reasons. Sometimes, it is about the fun, and the fun is all that matters. Sometimes one wants to connect with the deeper meanings of the music.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

listening to music is not about having "fun". it's about experiencing pleasure and receiving the secret language of the song. Grados may be "fun" but they don't play music the way it was meant to be played by the artist. Thus you are not receiving the same message because the secret language has now been defiled and desecrated. to truly receive the message of the music you need something like the K701s. They give an accurate transmission of the musical tongue.

Not about fun? What??? You've got to be kidding. Is this sarcastic? Seriously, tastes aside, why shouldn't listening to music be fun? The very definition of fun is enjoyable, and in our case, enjoying our music (the whole point of this hobby, to further enjoy music). Enjoying = fun = our music. This is what this hobby is about, enjoying things, and we all enjoy something different.

I still hope that post was sarcastic...

~Tom

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #30 of 76
i am serious. what some of you consider "fun" i consider tainting of the musical message. i don't want my classical guitar to sound like a piano because the headphone makes the midrange more warm and cuts off the treble (*cough* HD650 *cough*). it may sound more pleasing to you, but will put me to sleep! even worse, there is no longer any deep connection between the music and my soul, because the music has become defiled and watered down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back