Which one: Denon D100 or AT E7?
Dec 10, 2007 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jumpka

New Head-Fier
Which do you think I should get, and why?

I'm trying to decide on a portable headphone I'll be using for a few hours at a time, daily, outdoors. Considering my budget (up to $120) and my needs (drive an unamped iPod, portable, sturdy, comfortable, moderate deadening of street-noise, an upgrade in sound quality over my PX 100, moderate size), I've focused on either

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7

or

Denon AH-D1000

I can get either one for around $100, and from what I've read, they both offer good quality for the price.

What do you think?

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the ES7, and I have heard the D1000 before.

D1000 is waaay more comfy than the ES7. With the D1000 on my head, it barely feels like there is a headphone on my head. Really, really comfy.
ES7 clamps harder, so it might get uncomfortable after 2 hours or so. I know I can't wear it for more than 3++ hours.

IMHO, ES7 deadens outside noise slightly better.

Better sound stage on the D1000.
More fun sound on the ES7. Quite versatile, can do many genres, you'll find yourself tapping your toes when listening to this headphone, and its not just a figure of speech. It really is fun.

D1000 has a soothing sound. I think it would be more suitable for new age, jazz, blues and chill out music.

Both are good, if I had to choose between the two, I would not know which to choose, very difficult. Depends on which points I listed above is more important to you.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 8
so rock for es-7 and jazz/classical/techno for d1000? From the looks of it it'd seem the denon1000 would have more isolation but I wouldn't know, not owning either heh. I was considering both cans, want to find some good closed cans that are portable, in the <$100 range.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 8
i was kind of in the same position as you and finally went for Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which are DJ studio monitors... but from what i heard they work fine for normal music listening... i also heard that they're pretty sturdy and they are foldable.... should get them in a week...

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Everybody: thanks for your assistance here and in a previous thread.

The M50s look great but are too big for me, I think.

I ended up ordering the Denons for $97.77 at that big 'South American River' site.

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so rock for es-7 and jazz/classical/techno for d1000? From the looks of it it'd seem the denon1000 would have more isolation but I wouldn't know, not owning either heh. I was considering both cans, want to find some good closed cans that are portable, in the <$100 range.

I'm listening to some Paganini (Classical Strings) now on my ES7. Sounds great. ES7 can do anything from rock to classical. But IMHO, they shine when used with female vocals and dance/trace music. Very lively.

@jumpka, good choice dude. I really like how comfy the d1000 was. Soo light overall and soft ear pads.

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingyul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question about the ES7. I busted up my old AT FC7 which I liked. I like how it could isolate a little, but I could still hear stuff around me (cars and such).
Anyone had both of these? Is the comfort about the same?

Sorry mate, can't help u there, I haven't heard/owned the FC7 before.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back