which one between SE530, triple.fi10, um3x? [no amp; cowon s9; all kind of music] - and where to shop in NY for one of these?
Nov 26, 2009 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

emmeemmeuno

New Head-Fier
hi there.

excuse me first for my bad english - i'm italian
smily_headphones1.gif

i read a lot of posts about comparisons between these different IEMs, but i'd like to ask you suggestions anyway.

moreover, i have two questions, the latter related to the former.

first question:

i'm coming from etymotic er6i -2years. they completely broke up 6 months ago and then i used a pair of v-moda vibe bought for 9.90 euros, so, they worth the money i payed for.

now a friend of mine is going to NY and i'd like to made an upgrade.

i own a Cowon s9 that's for me sounds great [i also own a quite old sony mdr-v300 that i use when i dj here in italy] and i listen to any kind of music, jazz and classical music too.

the price is not a problem, as i want to know which is the best IEM for my use and then consider the price.

i see for example many shure se530 at a very good price on amazon - i.e. 270 bucks - but i don't know if these are fake or not.
but, i can't see any recent post suggesting shure se530. why?
more over, pth or not?

in subject i wrote "um3x" for westone, as i read westone 3 are more focused on mid-range frequencies. is this true?

i don't want to buy a portable amp for, as i don't like bringing with me more things than necessary in my pocket (i own an iphone too, but for music i will definitely stick to S9).

i'd like, if it's possible, a well balanced IEM, not so much focused only on some frequencies than the other, and i really love to hear details in music.

and, as i should buy abroad and i suppose warranty will be null, i'd like "strong" and durable IEM - so, no faulty cable and so on..

the second question:
so, considering this, could you also suggest me a shop in NY where i can find these products? my friend will be on ny tomorrow - black friday! - and wil be there till the 3rd of december.

thanks to anyone will answer and clarify my doubts
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers!

emmeemmeuno

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi,

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet, as they like to say here. I have owned the three IEMs that you have nominated.

The UM3X probably has the best build quality of the three and undoubtedly the best cables.

In terms of sound signature, well this is a very subjective area as you've probably already noticed. The SE530 has a prominent mid-range, with rolled-off highs and tight, well defined bass. The Triple.Fi 10 Pro is a more balanced sounding phone to my ears, with sparkling treble and a spacious soundstage. It also has great clarity. However, people have experienced fit issues with this IEM, and it does tend to stick out of one's ears. The UM3X is also a balanced sounding phone with a small soundstage. The highs do not extend as far as the TF10P but they do go a little further than the SE530. However, I found the bass a bit "woofy" compared to the SE530 and its overall sound signature rather lacklustre. I prefer both the SE530 and the TF10P to the UM3X.

As others here will tell you, all of these IEMs have strengths and weaknesses. But if I had to recommend one of them based on its sound signature alone, then it would be the TF10P without hesitation.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Ciao e benvenuto al Testa-Fi! Capisco il vostro dilema. Le tre cuffie che accennate sono tutte eccellenti ed eccellono nelle zone differenti. Sulla base dei vostri gusti musicali suggerirei lo Shure SE530. Potreste potere trovarli a J& La R di musica, ma sarà più poco costose a Headphone.com se le denominate per il migliore prezzo. Buona fortuna!

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

The Triple.Fi 10 Pro is a more balanced sounding phone to my ears, with sparkling treble and a spacious soundstage. It also has great clarity. However, people have experienced fit issues with this IEM, and it does tend to stick out of one's ears.

thanks for your answers; exactly, what kind of fit issues? i mean, this is dued to bad tips, wrong size or what?

thanks!

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ciao e benvenuto al Testa-Fi! Capisco il vostro dilema. Le tre cuffie che accennate sono tutte eccellenti ed eccellono nelle zone differenti. Sulla base dei vostri gusti musicali suggerirei lo Shure SE530. Potreste potere trovarli a J& La R di musica, ma sarà più poco costose a Headphone.com se le denominate per il migliore prezzo. Buona fortuna!

please use english, in italian the second part is a bit incomprehensible
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmeemmeuno /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i see for example many shure se530 at a very good price on amazon - i.e. 270 bucks - but i don't know if these are fake or not.
but, i can't see any recent post suggesting shure se530. why?
more over, pth or not?

well, i can trust those sellers or not?
and what about the difference between normal and pth 530?
should it be considered as a must have version?

thanks!

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 14
UM3X. I've had all three. I liked all three. If I didn't go with the UM3X, I'd go with the TF10, but the UM3X and SE530 have much better ergonomics. They fit better in the ear - and stay in better. The SE530 has more fitting possibilities where the UM3X just screws right in, but for my ears, I liked the sound signature of the UM3X better. I've never been able to articulate just why but its warm blend, with slightly recessed mids, just sounded better to me than the SE530s "lush mids."

A friend of mine let me help him fix a pair of SE530s whose stems had gone the way of the passenger pigeon. I gave him a choice of filters to try on the finished mod, and he went wild over the red filters, which gave his SE530s some real kick.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

thanks for your answers; exactly, what kind of fit issues? i mean, this is dued to bad tips, wrong size or what?

thanks!

The TF10P can be fiddly to fit compared to more ergonomically designed IEMs such as the UM3X and the SE530, as Bilavideo has already mentioned. Some people have found it difficult to maintain a good seal with this phone. It does not insert as deeply into the ear as the UM3X or the SE530. It is also a larger phone that protrudes from the ear rather than fit snugly against it. It has memory wires that can be cumbersome, especially if you wear glasses.

These characteristics of the TF10P put me off trying it. I tried the SE530, IE8 and then the UM3X before the TF10P. Had I tried it first, I might not have felt the need to try the others.

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

thanks for.

but, what about those shure 530 people selling on amazon at half of their original price?
they're refurbished? how could them cost 280 dollars instead of 499?!

I bought from that seller, and they were brand new for around $270. If you were to buy the se530's, that is your best bet.

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

in subject i wrote "um3x" for westone, as i read westone 3 are more focused on mid-range frequencies. is this true?

the second question:
so, considering this, could you also suggest me a shop in NY where i can find these products? my friend will be on ny tomorrow - black friday! - and wil be there till the 3rd of december.

thanks to anyone will answer and clarify my doubts
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers!

emmeemmeuno

In New York, your friend can listen to over-the-ear headphones and some in-ear models at J&R Music World. Also, B&H Photo carries many high-end models, but I'm not sure if they let you demo.

I own the S9 with Westone 3 and have owned but sold the Shure SE530. I love the W3 + S9 combo, since the S9 gives you so many EQ settings and the W3 (in my opinion) is dynamic and powerful enough to be equalized to fit many different tastes. I haven't heard the UM3x but I think most people agree that it has a more prominent midrange than the Westone 3 (with stock tips).

I just use different EQ settings on the S9 depending on whether I want to tame the bass a little and emphasize the treble and midrange (like for light rock and jazz) or expand the bass and soundstage (like for dance music). Contrary to what many people say, I don't find the Westone 3's treble to be too sharp or sibilant. In fact, with my S9 and ipod Touch 2g I've had to increase the treble quite a bit. Once I do this, however, the treble is clear and detailed without being harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back