Which of these would you pick, in the $500-700 range?
Jun 2, 2010 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ishmael

100+ Head-Fier
I've been kicking around the idea of consolidating a few of my full size cans and getting "one headphone to rule them all" so to speak. I need a closed headphone, so only the top models are options.

Here is what I'm considering, all are usually available within the $500-700 range, the cheaper the better though.

Denon D5000 or D7000
JVC DX1000
Audio Technica W5000, or maybe even W1000X
Lawton Audio LA2000 or lite version
Darth Beyers of various types
Headphile Terminator V4

I know I might be missing some, and these prices fluctuate a bit up and down. But in general, for all purpose, all types of music, from excellent source, what would you choose? To live with just one, for the long term? And why?

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 27
I listened to a new (not fully burned in) D7000 and preferred my HE-5LE over it. To me the HE-5LE seemed more balanced where the Denon were too bass heavy for my liking.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I had the HF-2 and 701 when I got the HE-5LE and ended up selling the HF-2 because I felt the Grado was less versatile overall. I'm not suggesting you sell your Grado but merely showing how much I like the HE-5LE and still like the 701.

It might be one to add to your list.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 27
I'll chime in again for the Lawton headphones...I feel like I'm pushing them a lot around here
biggrin.gif

I have two pairs of headphones from Lawton Audio, and I can honestly say that I think both are significantly better than any of the stock Denons, even the D7000s.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to listen extensively to any of the other headphones on your list, so I can't really make other comparisons.

If I were to have only one pair of headphones, and they had to be closed, I would probably go with my LA7000 Lites with the sheoak ear cups.  They are lush and euphonic, but the mids are brought forward and they are much more detailed compared to the stock D7000s.  They also significantly tighten the bass of the stock D7000s, and they reduce the amount of bass a bit, resulting in one of the most articulate bass responses of any headphone I've heard.  The bass is never lacking, but never overpowering either.  The highs can be a little hot at times, but they are crystal clear and really help to bring out the detail and make the LA7000 Lites a very natural-sounding pair of headphones.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 27
Well I have a pair of 7000's that are over a year old.  They don't lack for bass but it's well controlled and doesn't impinge on the other frequencies.  They aren't neutral but are a great sounding and fun headphone.

Though if isolation is important then look elsewhere.  Leakage is controlled but isolation is poor.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 27
LA7000 is actually more $$$ than I thought. What is inferior on the LA2000 comparatively?

Also to be clear- I dont need isolation but the people around me don't want to hear my music.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
Well I have a pair of 7000's that are over a year old.  They don't lack for bass but it's well controlled and doesn't impinge on the other frequencies.  They aren't neutral but are a great sounding and fun headphone.

Though if isolation is important then look elsewhere.  Leakage is controlled but isolation is poor.

Ditto for me!

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 27
Since i love electro and techno, i would go for the Denon D5000's, their midrange is natural and colorful. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
LA7000 is actually more $$$ than I thought. What is inferior on the LA2000 comparatively?

Also to be clear- I dont need isolation but the people around me don't want to hear my music.

I find that my LA7000s are generally more detailed than my LA2000s.  However, I'm not sure how much of this is actually due to the fact that one is based on a stock D2000 and the other on a D7000; it may just be the difference in wood and damping type that accounts for the extra detail on the LA7000s.  So I can't say definitively that anything on the LA2000 is inferior.  My guess is that the differences between a pair of LA7000s and a pair of LA2000s with the same wood and damping would probably be pretty small.

Also, both the stock and modified Denons don't isolate very well.  But as long as you don't blare the volume too loud, they can be relatively quiet to those around you.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 27
Have owned the D5000 and W1000 (not X) and heard the D7000 and DX1000. The D7000 is my clear favorite among these. The D5000 is decent but the 7000 is slightly better balanced. The DX1000 I heard was really unappealing to my ears - darkest headphone I've ever heard. W1000 was no good for me either - it had a very sweet treble but was oddly colored and had no bass whatsoever. I say get the D7000 - I don't think you'll regret it, and you can always tweak it later as you feel necessary.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
I say get the D7000 - I don't think you'll regret it, and you can always tweak it later as you feel necessary.

This is pretty sound advice -- rather than picking up a pair of LA2000s and then possibly having regrets about not getting the LA7000s, you can start with D7000s, listen to them for a while, and then get the mods done later if you ever decide you want to try them.  (I still recommend getting the mods done at some point though -- they take a good headphone in the D7000 and make it into a great one.)

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
This is pretty sound advice -- rather than picking up a pair of LA2000s and then possibly having regrets about not getting the LA7000s, you can start with D7000s, listen to them for a while, and then get the mods done later if you ever decide you want to try them.  (I still recommend getting the mods done at some point though -- they take a good headphone in the D7000 and make it into a great one.)

Would you recommend the mods for the D5000 as well?
If so, which ones & where do I go for them (I've never modded anything...)?

I think the D5000 are very good (lush, warm tones) but the bass is seriously over exaggerated. Will the mods (whatever they are) tame them?

shane

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 27
Yes, the bass will be tamed - the sound changes pretty dramatically with the mods (although IMO, not entirely for the better). See this thread for more details.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 27
The mods will make them more balanced, but IMO, less fun (and therein lies the rub). I already own many balanced headphones (HD800, T1, DT770/600) and I like the stock D7000s as is for a great fun change of pace.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
The mods will make them more balanced, but IMO, less fun (and therein lies the rub). I already own many balanced headphones (HD800, T1, DT770/600) and I like the stock D7000s as is for a great fun change of pace.

100% agree. The mods kill the charm of the Denons.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
100% agree. The mods kill the charm of the Denons.

Well I just looked at the link you sent. Thanks for that... it's a project that I would never never (did I say Never?) never attempt.
Also, I wouldn't want to kill the 'charm'... just a tiny bit of the bass. 
wink_face.gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back