Which of these home-based CD Players should I get?
Sep 16, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Andrezjpw, from what I understand, the NS615V is the five-disc version of the other -15 class players, not the NS500V. The five-disc version of the NS500V is the NC650V. (Note carefully that's it's NC, not NS. Not sure why.)

sapphiremodena, I'll let you know what I decide on. Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to do much auditioning, though, so my opinion won't have much context.

kerelybonto

gah! you're right, sorry about that. So, by all means go for the 775.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #17 of 21
Update: 09.17.02

Well, I've given it quite a bit of thought, and I've come to rule the 775 out. Sure, it's a great price and it probably does sound better than the others. But at this point, I've realized that I really do want a DVD player. I'm willing to compromise a bit of sound quality for DVD playback. I also *might* be willing to compromise a bit of sound quality for mp3 compatability. Most of the music I listen to is not of amazing sound quality, so after re-evaluating what I want, I've realized that I probably don't need the best sound.

So, here's my list, narrowed-down, from cheapest to most expensive:

Sony DVP-NS415 (CD, DVD, MP3)
-US funds: $134.49 + tax = $153.99
-Canadian funds: $212.50 + tax = $243.31

Sony DVP-NS500V (CD, DVD, [SACD - useless to me])
-US funds: $156.95 + tax = $179.70
-Canadian funds: $248 + tax = $283.96

Both models play CD-R's and CD-RW's. Big plus there.

Both of these prices are from brick & mortat stores in my home city.

Note: The 5 free DVD offer isn't available to Canadians, so scratch that out.

After some thought I realized that a 5 CD changer isn't too necessary. It's nice, but by no means more important to me than DVD. So a single CD changer will have to do just fine.

I'm still not too sure about this, does anyone have any more opinions or thoughts to help influence my decision?

Sep 18, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan H
Perhaps you could buy an older used quality CDP or DVDP now and then later buy a nice DAC?

How good of an idea is this- because I was actually considering going this route myself. Is a Marantz CD6000 OSE (@ $250 used) better in redbook playback than these Sony's? Would it surely whoop them with a DAC? What about the high jitter rate sometimes associated with stand-alone DAC's?

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 21
I can definitely swing it, I have about $105 right now. I get paid another $140 tomorrow to make $245. On Oct. 3rd, I will get another $80, which makes $325. The DVP-NS500V costs about $285. (Note: These are all Canadian dollars.)

Both the 415 and the 500 comfortably fit within my budget.

I have just been wondering if the DVP-NS500V would be worth the extra $40 CDN and the compromise of MP3, over the DVP-NS415.

Yet Another Update: I think the DVP-NS315 is out of the picture as well.....

...And then there were two...
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 21
I'd say yes. I mean, you get SACD playback for the future, even if you may not care now. And I haven't heard that many things about the 415. . .

Modders seem to like the ns500v as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back