Which of these for TEH BRUUTALLZZ!!?!1?!11
Feb 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hairuko

Head-Fier
Hey,
Basically I'm looking to spend around £70 for a pair of in-ear headphones. I sold my SE115 warranty replacements as they felt 'clouded' and unbalanced.

I listen to the heaviest of the heavy of metal. Death, black, thrash; all that good stuff.

The headphones I have in mind are;

Top Coniderations
Klipsch S4 £62
SoundMAGIC PL50 £54.95
Sennheiser IE7 £90~
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Liquid Silver £84
Etymotic HF5 £67

Others
Shure SE210 £64
Etymotic ER6i £66
Klipsch Custom 2 £59
Denon AH-C751 £80
Denon AH-C710 £90
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 £61
Sennheiser CX550 £40

Now you might think "But where is the RE0, clearly the superior of all the mid-range IEM's", and I agree, from all the opinions I've read the RE0 seems like the obvious choice. However I am so bad at keeping headphones it's almost to the point where it's criminal. 3 months is the top life expectancy of my headphones. So I will feel a LOT more comfortable with a distribution centre that is in the UK, as per the rest of them, so no RE0
frown.gif

You might also notice that the IE7's don't really fit into the price range I've set. I was wondering if they are any good for metal, as I haven't found anyone saying anything about these and metal. Also would it be worth the extra few £££'s?
I see these around Amazon and eBay for £90ish and I'm worried they might be fake as I got a fake pair, but they were £55 so that was mostly cos of me being an idiot.

The 'phones will be running from my Nokia 5800XpressMusic which has a 32 oHm rating. I might buy a Sansa Clip+/Fuze or iPod further down the line.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a novel,
Thanks,
Adi

TL;DR
IEM's
£70ish
for \m/etal
thru a Nokia 5800

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 12
It's a shame you have to count out the RE0, I think you might really like them.

Off that list, etys are supposed to be fast, so if you don't mind deep fit the ety HF5 might be a good choice. This is speaking only from what I've read here; they usually seem to be recommended next to the RE0 in that general price range.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Sennheiser IE7 are definitaly worth it for little extra price and they sound really good(detailed) for most genres. I wil highely recommend Klipsch Custom 3 if you can find it in your price range.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hairuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Others
Shure SE210 £64
Etymotic ER6i £66
Klipsch Custom 2 £59
Denon AH-C751 £80
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 £61
Sennheiser CX550 £40

Check out the Denon AH-C710's. Haven't heard them, but they seem to be rated more highly here than the 751's (actually an earlier model, despite the naming).

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Feb 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser IE7 are definitaly worth it for little extra price and they sound really good(detailed) for most genres. I wil highely recommend Klipsch Custom 3 if you can find it in your price range.

I'm sorry but with the terrible microphonics I couldn't recommend the Customs without a demo. They sound great but it doesn't help at all if you can't hear them due to the awful cable.

I would however recommend the Denon 710's for metal. They're the most detailed of everything on OP's list and are aggressive enough for rock.

The re-0's are a great phone. Exceptionally detailed but are very light on bass. Which makes it hard to get into most of the metal I listen to without the use of a warm source.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hairuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sennheiser ie7 life like sound brand new genuinerrp£160 on eBay (end time 14-Feb-10 19:28:29 GMT)

these look genuine to you guys?
the fakes i got before had no foam tips and this guy tells me that his do, i've pm'd him asking about a receipt from where he got them

Theres also a couple on amazon UK for £90 which looked interesting.

I personally wouldn't take a chance on those. Having been burned once by fake IE8's I would say only buy from ebay if the seller is an authorized reseller for Sennheiser and I would confirm they are with Sennheiser via the phone. BTW Amazon.UK sells the IE7 for £119 which is only £4 over your budget and will be the real deal.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 12
dweaver you're right, but i can't justify spending £120 on headphones right now :/

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Not sure if this head-fi sale is still available, but I would PM the guy. The price is alot closer to your budget and I suspect there is less likely hood of them being fake.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks guys, you've been tremendously helpful, I've PM'd the dude selling in the UK, but the thread was quite old and he might have sold it by now.

If he has, I doubt I'll get an offer like that again, so what would you go for from the list?, bearing in mind I listen a lot to metal.

Thanks again.
Adi

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 12
I have owned the Klipsch S4 and enjoyed them once they were burned in (quite a bit if sibilance until they are burned in). They have good treble and midrange with a decent bass, I wanted more soundstage than they offered but that may or may not be a concern for you.

I have not owned the PL50 but have read they are supposed to be very good but midcentric at the expense of the treble (rolled off a bit) and the bass (again rolled off a bit) so with that I leave it up to you if that will work for your music or not.

I haven't heard the rest and can't remember the specifics on them so will leave others to give you their opinion on them.

I will say I did like the S4 while I had it I just really like a good soundstage and ultimately went IE8 to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back