which of these Dacs for Headphone & main system
Oct 15, 2008 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mellowbear

New Head-Fier
I am interested from what I have read on these forums in; Stello da-100 signature, Northstar 192, MHDT Havana for use with Grado gs10000/Musical Fidelity X-CanV8 and possibly adding Trafomatic Head One amp( for use in both rigs). Main system is Anthem Pre2l/Pass Labs Aleph3 and Jamo Concert 11 speakers, sources are; Arcam 9CD, Sony JB940 24 bit minidisc and Computer Audio( I am a newbie with EdirolUA-1ex to get me started) I have been told that the Stello will sound different but not necessarily better than the Dac in my Arcam9 CD (no inputs) I know nothing about Dacs from experience and am confused regarding the arguments between the upsampling Dac camp and the NOS Dac camp, can anyone advise as to what might suit my needs best, or give any other suggestions. I was also interested in DacMagic( good bang for buck) but am concerned that there is no way to defeat upsampling as well as quality compared to the other Dacs on my shortlist. Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 2
I wouldn't generalise to the point where you're ruling something out just on the basis of whether it upsamples or not.

Audio taste is wholly subjective and it'll all come down to how much you want to spend and how well any new component synergises with your other gear, with your music, according to your ears...

I've heard the Stello and many Arcam CDPs but don't know your amps or speakers. They're both good
smily_headphones1.gif
All I can say is try to dem any contenders in situ - Richer Sounds offer 30 day money back with the DacMagic, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back