Which of these CD's would you recommend for burn-in?
Mar 30, 2006 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
Bob Marley & The Wailers (all of them)

Jay Z (all of them)

Some "Various Artists" Classical CD's

Mary J. Blige (all of them)

Jimi Hendrix (Most of them)

Maroon 5

John Mayer (all of them)

Or could you recommend a good burn in CD (maybe I might have it or I could go out and buy it today)?

Right now, I have been letting Jay Z's "Blueprint" CD run for the past 4 hours. I am just a little worried that all this time is passing and I am not using an ideal CD.

I read the sticky thread but I just need a little more specific clarification if you will.

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 11
When I bought my Kirsaetter speakers two years ago, the dealer gave me a complimentary copy of Diana Krall's Love Scenes and told me to play track 1 repeatedly for one hour to break-in the speakers. I thought it worked well and I have used it ever since to break-in any headphones I purchased.

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
When I bought my Kirsaetter speakers two years ago, the dealer gave me a complimentary copy of Diana Krall's Love Scenes and told me to play track 1 repeatedly for one hour to break-in the speakers. I thought it worked well and I have used it ever since to break-in any headphones I purchased.

I'll give that a listen at Borders. Thanx for the suggestion.

Anymore you guys?

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 11
Notice that burn-in is a contested phenomenon. Asking, which CD to use for burn-in - and thus assuming, different CDs might have different effect on burn-in - takes this controversy to the next level. I think, if you believe that burn-in exists at all, any CD should do fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
From a purely logical standpoint. IF burn-in exists, and IF there are differences based on the music you use (I offer no opinions either way as pretty much 100% of my gear has been 2nd hand, so I have never had a chance to hear it) then surely you choose your favourite CD. Then IF your 'phones burn-in to the sound signature of your favourite spice-girls... *cough*... i mean... Hendrix compilation, then that's all fine and dandy.

However, IF burn-in is just a psychological phenomenon, then you can convince yourself that you've given yourself the best placebo, and all will be gravy.

Either that, or there are some "sweep" tones going around that play the entire tonal range. I am fairly sure there were some available for download somewhere....

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
From a purely logical standpoint. IF burn-in exists, and IF there are differences based on the music you use (I offer no opinions either way as pretty much 100% of my gear has been 2nd hand, so I have never had a chance to hear it) then surely you choose your favourite CD. Then IF your 'phones burn-in to the sound signature of your favourite spice-girls... *cough*... i mean... Hendrix compilation, then that's all fine and dandy.

However, IF burn-in is just a psychological phenomenon, then you can convince yourself that you've given yourself the best placebo, and all will be gravy.

Either that, or there are some "sweep" tones going around that play the entire tonal range. I am fairly sure there were some available for download somewhere....

anyone have the link for these sweep tones?

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
any CD should do fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
surely you choose your favourite CD.

One more vote for your favorite. Best way to burn in your 'phones (or any component for that matter) is to listen to it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 11
I just changed to a Jill Scott CD for the past 5 hours. Her CD sounds like it was well recorded. I'm gonna switch to a Bob Marley CD (probably Natty Dread or Confrontation).

Also I actually do notice a difference in the sound after the last 27.5 hours of burn-in time. Sounds like the bass has cleaned up a bit, the highs seems to have established themselves and sound much smoother, and the midrange sounds like it has more definition. Also, it seems like the presence of the midrange has increased.

This can is worth EVERY single dollar that I paid for it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Why not just listen to them normally? Burn-in will happen along the way anyways. That's what I did with my speakers, even though it took me quite a bit and I do listen a lot to them. Let it happen, don't force it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back