Which of these bluetooth phones would be right for me?
Jan 23, 2019 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

echoleaf

New Head-Fier
For years I had an Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs. I loved the sound, with the extra bass. I used to produce & listen to tons of deep, bass-y techno, trip-hop, breaks and deep house. They weren't flat but they were fun to listen to. They broke a few years back and now I mostly listen to punk, rock, metal & deep house. Mostly though, I love bass (and started learning how to play it too). I love being able to hear things in music that I missed before. I love hearing clear guitar strings and hints of fingers sliding on the strings. I like sounds in general, especially synths.

I just need cans that sound really good with great bass. Not excessive or muddy but bass that's punchy and nicely defined, and where you can feel the sub a little. And since I've been using in-ears exclusively for a couple of years, it would be really nice to have a sense of space.

I'm wanting bluetooth for convenience, I'm done with wires (and I'm no longer an audiophile). I need a microphone for taking the occasional call. And while not a must-have, multipoint would definitely tip the scales. Budget's around $100.

The kids have a couple of decent phones. I spent the last hour using a Status Audio HD-1. It sounds kinda thin, like the meat of the music is missing. The bass is so so. We recently got a Cowin E7 recently and that sounds better than the HD-1, but the bass is meh.

Here's my shortlist based on excessive googling:
  • JBL E55BT
  • Sennheiser HD 4.40
  • Nakamichi BTHP02 (rec from a trusted producer friend & not what he uses for monitoring)
  • Marshall Major III Bluetooth
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AR3BTBK
  • Audio-Technica ATH-S700BT
If you have experience with any of these, I'd love to hear your opinion - especially if have more suggestions.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 11
My high-school aged nephew has the V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless. I listened to them over the holidays and they certainly have the type of bass I think you're looking for. However they're not within your requested price range. But the first version of the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless are on sale at the moment from Amazon for $99.99. That might be worth looking into? I can only assume the original Crossfade is similar to the 2.0 version? At the very least you'll have 30 days to audition the headphones so if they don't meet your expectations you can always send them back for a refund.

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphone/dp/B015R7AGHC

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 11
My high-school aged nephew has the V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless.

I'm skeptical of gaming-oriented headphones as the ones we've gotten our kids seem to last only 1-1.5y only. They just don't seem to be made to last (got my fingers crossed for the Cowin we just got one of the kids). One of the answered questions for the V-Moda rakes it over the coals too: "Bluetooth greatly decreases the quality. The perfect EQ goes out the door. When in bluetooth: I experience muffled bass that has notes that don't distinguish but rather blend together for an over hanging, lingering presence." Ouch.

I could be wrong though - maybe V Moda is a reliable company that I don't know of and need to research. I just realized that all of the phones I listed are well known, traditional audio companies that have been around for years. I'm probably biased towards the old school.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm skeptical of gaming-oriented headphones as the ones we've gotten our kids seem to last only 1-1.5y only. They just don't seem to be made to last (got my fingers crossed for the Cowin we just got one of the kids). One of the answered questions for the V-Moda rakes it over the coals too: "Bluetooth greatly decreases the quality. The perfect EQ goes out the door. When in bluetooth: I experience muffled bass that has notes that don't distinguish but rather blend together for an over hanging, lingering presence." Ouch.

I could be wrong though - maybe V Moda is a reliable company that I don't know of and need to research. I just realized that all of the phones I listed are well known, traditional audio companies that have been around for years. I'm probably biased towards the old school.

I personally do not own any V-MODA's so I'm not a reliable source of information on the brand. My only experience (about 30 minutes worth of music) was with my nephew's set a few weeks ago from his iPhone 7. It could also be a situation where the 2.0 that my nephew owns improved on whatever shortcomings the original Crossfade Wireless suffered from?

I tend to look at how good a merchant's return policy is when it comes to items like headphones, TV's, stereo speakers, etc. Headphones are such a personal preference item that a liberal return policy is a must in my opinion in case the product doesn't meet your expectations. Otherwise your best bet is to actually go to a headphone shop or a Best Buy type of store and audition them in person using your own source (phone, etc.). I know Best Buy carries V-MODA, so if you happen to live near a Best Buy, that'd be my first suggestion.

From my brief research just now, V-MODA began in 2004 so they're not exactly new, yet not exactly vintage either. :)

I don't really have any experience with Bluetooth headphones in general so I apologize for not having any good suggestions for you.

Also for what it's worth, a snippet directly from the V-MODA FAQ that might be of interest to you?

What is the Immortal Life Program?
If your headphones have been overused or broken, and fall outside the warranty period, we offer a 50% coupon towards the purchase of a comparable headphone model.

How does the Immortal Life Program work?
We ask that you send us the overused/broken headphones with your contact details. We will then e-mail you the 50% discount code. Please note that you will not receive the 50% coupon until after we have received your broken headphones in the mail.

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/faq

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 11
  • Sennheiser HD 4.40 good sound, good soundstage, excellent battery, light

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 11
If you were looking for bass, Sony MDR-XB950B1 would be a good choice. This is TOTL for their Extra Bass Series. There are 2 variants - With and without ANC. This might exceed your budget but it is really worth it. Else, E55BT from JBL would be the best choice for bass I guess but I doubt the build quality. It seems plasticky.

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 11
If you were looking for bass, Sony MDR-XB950B1 would be a good choice. This is TOTL for their Extra Bass Series. There are 2 variants - With and without ANC. This might exceed your budget but it is really worth it. Else, E55BT from JBL would be the best choice for bass I guess but I doubt the build quality. It seems plasticky.
Jbl build is just MEH, good sound but cheap look and fragile plastic

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 11

I have the cabled ones and they are just fantastic, they are not game oriented only, they sound fantastic, very clear highs, good detail for mids and generous but not invasive bass, they are my favourite portable ones. Build is fantastic metal everywhere , but you have to add the cost of XL official pads because the stadard ones are just terrible comfort wise

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 11
@gemNeye: Thanks, their return policy isn't too bad and going to a Best Buy is a great suggestion. Of course, that involves a fight with my instinct to just order online and return it if they suck instead of leaving the house :beyersmile: It only seems like yesterday that I was shopping for my first (and only) decent hifi speakers, deciding on Celestions after having the fun experience of playing my music in a hifi shop...

@JediMa70: If I'm leaning towards anything just based on reputation, it's the Sennheisers. JBL is a big traditional name too but they are fairly new to the headphone business. The second rec for the V Moda is gonna make me check them out too (and pay close attention to whether the BT sound is really different or not).

@yong_shun: That's close enough to the budget to consider. I know Sony has a great rep for headphones.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 11
So after learning that the 4.40 was not trulu multipoint, I went for the 4.50BTNC instead. It arrived earlier and I'm putting it through its paces after charging it and ... I'm impressed. Nice bass, so much clarity in the mid-range. I haven't heard music like this since my old Audio-Technicas died.

And surprisingly, the ANC is coming in useful as I'm in a room with my wife & kid napping and a white noise maker going.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back