Which of these 4 is the right portable for me?
Jan 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GamerGuppy

New Head-Fier
I'm currently a very satisfied owner of a Sennheiser HD650 (for critical listening) and a Beyerdynamic DT770 (for gaming/casual listening). Now if you are familiar with these two, then you know they are not exactly portable. And that while I am a student that very frequently travels for more then 3 hours a day by train, and loves to listen to music (mostly 80s rock, jazz) while doing so. For some time I used the cheap but fun sounding JVC HA S500 for this purpose, but since this one recently broke down, I think it's time for a more serious upgrade.

Therefore I've been looking for a while for the "ideal portable" headphone, but I've always refrained from buying one, since it's very diffecult here in the Netherlands to get a hands-on experience before buying anything. So what is an "ideal portable" in my situation? Good accurate sound quality, good noise isolation (train sounds), portable (not too bulky, solidly build, can be worn comfortably around the neck, a small case would be great), and a lil bit stylish (not too bulky on the head).

Below I've listed those headphones that seem to fit these criteria pretty well. Anyone has experience with a few of these that could help me narrow down my choice? I'm interested in potential alternatives too, but I consider these already to be at the far end of my budget. I'm just a poor student after all :wink:.

1) Beyerdynamic DT1350 (available at 225 euro, 245 dollar)
What I read from others: Solidly build, very accurate sound signature, outstanding noise isolation.

2) Beyerdynamic T51 (available at 225 euro, 245 dollar)
What I read from others: Very similar to DT1350, no split-band, more metal finish, in-line controls.

3) V-moda crossfade M100 (available at 250 euro, 275 dollar)
What I read from others: Build like a tank, fun sounding but not entirely accurate.

4) Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (available at 250 euro, 275 dollar)
What I read from others: Warm & accurate sounding, might be a tad fragile.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 5
I'd go with the t51p or DT1350. Not terribly different, but I like the headband more on the DT1350, it's a bit more neutral than the t51p (which has slightly more bass emphasis), and is much easier to find @ a great price used. T51p imo looks better.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuppy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm interested in potential alternatives too, but I consider these already to be at the far end of my budget. I'm just a poor student after all :wink:.

http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Spirit-One-Premium-Headphones/dp/B00KFQMIVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452953287&sr=8-1&keywords=Focal+Spirit+One

I found the original Spirit One to be warmer than the HD650, but that also means it's a safe sound signature if you're driving it with a general purpose device. IIRC the S is more balanced sounding. If anything, the earcups might be a little tight, but if the height of your earlobes have no issues with the DT770, then you're not likely to encounter problems on that dimension of the headphone; a bigger earlobe though (towards the back, or if it angles forward, if not also wider) might not fit easily inside the earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back