Which of these 3 sounds do you used to burn in portable headphones?
Feb 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 16
how about putting the music you actually plan on listening to on random/repeat
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 16
I put my iPod on shuffle mode and plug my headphones in when I just want to burn them in for a long period of time (usually overnight) but I usually prefer listening to my headphones/IEMs instead of burning them in. It's nice hear the sound signature change/evolve over time as the drivers settle in.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Pink noise or something like a drum track. Music helps in the sense that you can more readily distinguish strain and tonal change. I usually do a progressive ramp up. Initially start out listening and turn up the volume up to a level that just starts to show signs of strain/tonal change(brightening). Back off a tiny bit. Take the earphones off and let them sit playing for an hour. After the hour's up, put them back on and readjust the volume. Turn it up to where it just starts straining again. The volume level should be a little higher this time before it happens. Back it off just below this straining point and take off the earphones again. Wait an hour again. Put them back on and adjust the volume again. Keep repeating this until you get no additional change in volume before straining. This is effectively the mechanical limit of the earphones and they are largely broken in. the intervals don't really need to be an hour. You just slowly ramp up the volume to keep up with the loosening of the earphone and keeping it near its limit as it keeps moving more freely from use. The process is pretty short really. 100hours, 200hours, 500hours, no. 3, 5, 8 hours sure. If you listen to them at 25% for 100 hours, they'll never be broken in. The process does require you to stretch them out so to speak. You don't stress them, so you always stay below any sign of strain or tonal change which can indicate the hardware fighting against the movement. Not being careful about this can potentially wreck them.

Also this mainly pertains to dynamic drivers. Balanced armatures don't really have a break in process. Any change happens in a matter of seconds.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #10 of 16
I downloaded all burn in files, never used them, as I feel they may destroy my expensive headphones, listen to the music mate, if you do want to burn in , then I've heard pink noise is nice.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 16
Never let the volume get above what you are able to listen to. Don't turn the volume up past much more than your comfortable listening level, to avoid damage.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 16
Usually I play music, white noise (radio) and radio music at higher volumes, + 10 decibels in my mediaplayer and slightly less I guess on the radio. I'm still trying to find out if 50 hours do the trick, otherwise slightly more or it's variable depending on the headphone.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks everyone for the replies, i think like mentioned ill skip the noises and just play music,

ill start at 50% at every hour ramp it up a tiny bit

Just to be safe monitor the burn-in at all times.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back