Which of these 3 - best fit for needs
Jun 7, 2020 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to purchase my 1st mid fi can, and finally ready to spend over my 350 dollar budget I set for myself. Looking for a closed back, and I've narrowed it down to these 3. Unfortunately, there is nowhere for me to demo any of them.
My 2 main priorities - I'm after the one that's going to play nicest with poorer quality recordings. A lot of the albums I have were poorly produced. My collection is all FLAC and WAV.
Secondly, I'm after the headphones that will sound best with hard rock. I understand this is highly subjective, but but I'd still like your input.
Currently I own the Audio Technica Ath-Msr7b, Meze 99 Classics, Sennheiser 58X, and Beoplay H6. I've owned many others, but these turned out to be my keepers.
1) Audio Technica ath-wp900
2) Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd gen
3) E-mu Teak
I've listed these in the order I'm currently considering. I really enjoy my Msr7b and I already have upgraded cables. I think it may be the most revealing of poor recordings though. The T5p sounds like a great can, but it's the most expensive of the bunch. I'd really like to keep these semi portable, so the Teak is last on my list, but if it's the right can... I also think it will be the least revealing of poor recordings. Mids are of the most importance for me, and I do appreciate a tad bit extra low end, but nothing too far North of neutral. I also enjoy extended treble, but I simply can't do anything overly bright and piercing. They also should be EQ friendly. I like a little warmth and want really good dynamics and energy. Definitely a little more musical than analytical. I like to rock out for sure.
Any comments and input are appreciated. I'm open to other recommendations, but I do my consider myself a bit of a weight weenie. I'd like to keep it 13 ounces or lighter. Gotta be able to run it balanced as well. Please let me know if you need any additional information.
Thanks Head Fi

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm looking to purchase my 1st mid fi can, and finally ready to spend over my 350 dollar budget I set for myself. Looking for a closed back, and I've narrowed it down to these 3. Unfortunately, there is nowhere for me to demo any of them.
My 2 main priorities - I'm after the one that's going to play nicest with poorer quality recordings. A lot of the albums I have were poorly produced. My collection is all FLAC and WAV.
Secondly, I'm after the headphones that will sound best with hard rock. I understand this is highly subjective, but but I'd still like your input.
Currently I own the Audio Technica Ath-Msr7b, Meze 99 Classics, Sennheiser 58X, and Beoplay H6. I've owned many others, but these turned out to be my keepers.
1) Audio Technica ath-wp900
2) Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd gen
3) E-mu Teak
I've listed these in the order I'm currently considering. I really enjoy my Msr7b and I already have upgraded cables. I think it may be the most revealing of poor recordings though. The T5p sounds like a great can, but it's the most expensive of the bunch. I'd really like to keep these semi portable, so the Teak is last on my list, but if it's the right can... I also think it will be the least revealing of poor recordings. Mids are of the most importance for me, and I do appreciate a tad bit extra low end, but nothing too far North of neutral. I also enjoy extended treble, but I simply can't do anything overly bright and piercing. They also should be EQ friendly. I like a little warmth and want really good dynamics and energy. Definitely a little more musical than analytical. I like to rock out for sure.
Any comments and input are appreciated. I'm open to other recommendations, but I do my consider myself a bit of a weight weenie. I'd like to keep it 13 ounces or lighter. Gotta be able to run it balanced as well. Please let me know if you need any additional information.
Thanks Head Fi

Why consider IEMs? Your 500-ish dollars could get you a damn good pair of in-ears. Also, if you're concerned about weight and portability and are looking to drive them off of your Opus #1, they might better fit your needs.

If you are sticking with headphones, the Teak, as amazing as it is, is pretty close in flavor to the NightOwl. The Teak hits a harder in the bass and has better balance and details through the rest of the spectrum, but it's not a major difference. I'm afraid I can't help too much on the other two.

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Unfortunately I can't do in ears. I find it uncomfortable, and I just don't like things inside my ears.
Yeah, I didn't care for the NightOwl all that much. If it didn't sound quite as dark and distant, I think it would have been pretty good. Everything else about it was solid. I don't recall reading any comments about the Teaks sounding dark or distant. I actually wouldn't mind something similar to the Owls without those 2 characteristics.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Hmmm a little weird that you didn’t like the Nightowl seeing as it basically sounds like the 99 Classics to these ears. It eases up on the massive bass hump but as a consequence also ends up sounding more natural...to me at least:)
If you dig that warm sound signature (the Audio Technica is warm as well) I’d probably look at a Sony a la the MDR-1A or the bigger and pricier brother the Z7.
The Beyerdynamic you’re looking at is actually fairly close to the type of signature you already own in the msr7b ie warm with a good punch of energy in the treble:wink:
Haven’t heard the Emu but I would imagine it sounding fairly close to the likes of TH610/Drop’s take on it/D7200 and the latter is without a doubt one of the best closed headphones I’ve ever heard...with the slight caveat that it doesn’t isolate as well as most other closedbacks.
Good luck dude:)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 6
Hmmm a little weird that you didn’t like the Nightowl seeing as it basically sounds like the 99 Classics to these ears. It eases up on the massive bass hump but as a consequence also ends up sounding more natural...to me at least:)
If you dig that warm sound signature (the Audio Technica is warm as well) I’d probably look at a Sony a la the MDR-1A or the bigger and pricier brother the Z7.
The Beyerdynamic you’re looking at is actually fairly close to the type of signature you already own in the msr7b ie warm with a good punch of energy in the treble:wink:
Haven’t heard the Emu but I would imagine it sounding fairly close to the likes of TH610/Drop’s take on it/D7200 and the latter is without a doubt one of the best closed headphones I’ve ever heard...with the slight caveat that it doesn’t isolate as well as most other closedbacks.
Good luck dude:)
Thanks bud. I don't think the 99s and Owl sound much alike. The 99s are significantly more forward and aggressive to my ears. I didn't care for the mdr-1am2. I'm pretty sure the Teak, or even the 610 I would like quite a bit, but I wouldn't take them out of the house. If I can find the Beyerdynamic for a good price from a place with a solid return policy, I'll probably try those 1st. But the ATs sure are pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back