Which of the Two Beatles Boxes is the Better One?
Sep 16, 2009 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
when voting, please make sure that you own both boxed sets AND please make sure that your biases are for the musical presentation only, no packaging / video clips and price / availability should not matter ....

I choose:

Option A) The Stereo Box is the better one all the way through

Option B) I prefer the mono box but I still need to purchase Abbey Road and Let It Be and Past masters in order to have their entire track listing

Option C) I prefer the mono box but I think everything from the White Album onward sounds better in stereo which means that I would end up owning two copies of the White Album

Option D) I prefer most of the material in stereo, but the early albums (everything pre 1965) sound better in Mono as we have had on CDs for years.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 11
This is comparing apples to oranges.

Both sound good. The stereo box reached an excellent compromise between a modern sound and a vintage audiophile sound. The mono's are FLAT transfers from the master tapes and sound good but they need a little bit of help for them to truly shine in their audiophile goodness.

In short - if your a casual Beatles fan, you'll be most happy with the Stereo transfers. If you love sound quality - get the mono's. If your a huge Beatles fan and love music - get both.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 11
Seems a bit crazy to title the thread as a choice between the boxed sets, have four options and then not even have an option for "the stereo box is the better". Seems like a push poll to me.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems a bit crazy to title the thread as a choice between the boxed sets, have four options and then not even have an option for "the stereo box is the better". Seems like a push poll to me.

Except..... you know..... option A "The Stereo Box is the better one all the way through"

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The four options was to allow the voter to specify exactly what it is they like, but the very first option was for the Stereo Box being completely better alone. I'm sorry you didn't see it.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Yep, my mistake ... sorry.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 11
I've listened to both sets. I'm starting to prefer Sgt. Peppers in mono, thanks to the mono box, but stereo still has its virtues. But since you can buy the stereo version ala carte, why bother with the box. Oh yeah, the cardboard. I'm more centered on THE MUSIC. I see the mono boxsets are on hold at amazon, but more on the way, they say.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 11
Option D, all the way. I expected to prefer the monos more than I did, but the stereo sounds GOOD -- hard pans and all.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 11
I chose D, but I must say that for me it's not as easy as saying I like album X in mono and album Y in stereo. I've gone through most of the songs in stereo and mono, and for the first couple of albums mono is better most of the time, but after Beatles For Sale stereo is often my choice. On the later albums only a few songs songs from here and there sound better to me in mono, but I prefer to listen to only stereo or only mono when I want to listen to the entire album straight through (naturally?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back