Which of MS-1 or MS2i is less fatiguing?
Dec 13, 2006 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tomjonesrocks

100+ Head-Fier
Am wondering which one of these phones is the warmer or easier on the ears. I owned some SR60s, and they were just too fatiguing for me. I also demoed some HF-1s at a meet--and loved those--but they were also too fatiguing for me.

Am wondering if either of these is a different story. Thanks!

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 7
You have the HD595 and are getting the ATH-AD2000.....why an interst in the MS-1?
icon10.gif
I haven't listened to the Alessandro series yet, but have listened to the SR60 and have recently gotten the 325i. Even though the 325i is considered the brightest Grado, I think it's very similar to the SR60 in tonality. So if the MS series is supposed to have less treble, then it makes me wonder how it's different then the HD595 (which IMO is a very balanced headphone). I'm putting up with trying to order seperate pads for the 325is so that they will be wearable and will have some extra bass. Once that's done, I think I'll just like them for some hard rock.....and my Senns for every other genre.

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 7
MS1 IMHO... but a HUGE part of that has to do with the comfy pads, as well as the cans themselves. IMHO the MS2 sounds better with tube amps.

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 7
oh....thought of another thing to point out about the MS2i, since it's like the 325i.....comfort, comfort, comfort! These metal Grados are HEAVY!!! Makes the bowl pads unbareable to wear (at least on my ears). So I've been suggested wrapping the headband and getting HD414 replacement pads to replace the bowls (ie torture devices).

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh....thought of another thing to point out about the MS2i, since it's like the 325i.....comfort, comfort, comfort! These metal Grados are HEAVY!!! Makes the bowl pads unbareable to wear (at least on my ears). So I've been suggested wrapping the headband and getting HD414 replacement pads to replace the bowls (ie torture devices).

Probably worth pointing out that the comfort issue varies from user to user. I personally don't find MS2i uncomfortable at all. They are less comfy than Senns for instance, but not uncomfortable. I don't find them bright either - but thats with a tube hybrid - YMMV.

Pluck

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 7
The MS1 would be the safest bet, imo. It has the reputation for being the most mellow-sounding can in the Grado/Alessandro lineup. I can listen to mine for hours at a time. Of course, ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back