Which music is good for burn-in music? any helps or suggestions?
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pyp159

New Head-Fier
SAWASDEE KHA!
I just bought the most that i could afford full size head phones that i could
Focal clear professional (i love full size a lot)
but i need a suggestions that which music of file flac that is 2 good for burning
this kind of headphones to be better bcause there are many people said
if i burn it it would give me the better voice?

which one?
do you give me any suggestions? I like to listen to pop sweet and boyband 2000's music style
but how to give the voice better quality
and do i need to listen to burn the music with amp too?
or just dap?

Thanks efor you advice from thailand
sawasdee kha

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 8
There is no need to burn in your headphones. They really don't change over time. It's our brains that adjust the the sound signature that makes the big change in perceived sound. If you want to burn them in use pink noise on just over loud listening levels.

If you are finding issues with the "voice" there is chance that the headphone is just not to your liking. No amount of burn in will magically make the sound better. I think Tyll Hertsens did a bunch of testing and measured the effects of burn in. He concluded that the measurements show no signs of burn in even after hundreds of hours.

I would try to EQ them first by decreasing the 1.1kHz band down 3dB and the 8.5kHz band up 3dB. The bass should be elevated up with EQ as well on the order of +5dB from 65 hz on down. If that does not help you may want to look into a new headphone.

What amp are you using to drive the Focal Clear?

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 8
SAWASDEE KHA!
I just bought the most that i could afford full size head phones that i could
Focal clear professional (i love full size a lot)
but i need a suggestions that which music of file flac that is 2 good for burning
this kind of headphones to be better bcause there are many people said
if i burn it it would give me the better voice?

which one?
do you give me any suggestions? I like to listen to pop sweet and boyband 2000's music style
but how to give the voice better quality
and do i need to listen to burn the music with amp too?
or just dap?

Thanks efor you advice from thailand
sawasdee kha
You can find plenty of high quality tracks on the internet to help your headphones burn in. HDTracks.com is a good source for extremely high quality recording of different genre's. You might also want to check out Linnrecords.com. Don't listen to those who have clearly not studied the science that burn in doesn't exist - burn in is a fact. Most of these guys who conduct headphone burn in listening tests with their recording equipment have no personality, are tone deaf as well as knowing very little about the true science of driver technology, or they do know but just deny it because they themselves have never been able to hear a difference. Trust me - burn in is real.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Oh boy, here we go again

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 8
https://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/#:~:text=Matt Engstrom, director of monitoring products at Shure,,could, in theory, produce different sound over time.

Quote:
"mechanical burn-in is supposed to describe the gradual settling in of the design parameters of the cone diaphragms (the things that vibrate back and forth to create the air pressure changes that we interpret as sound in our ears) into their intended or optimal state. After this period, proponents claim they are able to vibrate more freely, thus allowing for better sound."
"Matt Engstrom, director of monitoring products at Shure, admits there is evidence that suggests transducers in larger headphones can experience burn-in, and that this could, in theory, produce different sound over time. Again, no one has shown this conclusively, largely because a) companies aren't rushing to tell audiophiles they've been wrong all these years and b) there's no single industry standard for testing headphones.
This much is known: When it comes to the tiny balanced armatures used in many earphones, there's just not the same potential for mechanical deviation. We're talking about things the size of a baby's tooth. And unlike the large drivers in over-the-ear headphones, there's just not that much room for things to change."

If you can read and understand english then the truth is staring at you in the face, in the above highlighted quote from an engineer who is probably more qualified to speak about the subject of burn in than most of us Head Fi members :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Oh good, one industry person says there might be a difference. That certainly settles the debate of "Is there one industry person that says there might be a difference."

Now onto the real debate: Is that difference measurable or, more importantly, humanly perceptible. So far, science says no.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 8
@dstarr3 I don't want to derail this thread so I won't post further on this, all I will say is that you should present your objections to that Shure engineer and also the guy who invented the AQ Nighthawk, these guys will be able to show you in a way that you would hopefully understand, how burn in happens.

Good day.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 8
https://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/#:~:text=Matt Engstrom, director of monitoring products at Shure,,could, in theory, produce different sound over time.

Quote:
"mechanical burn-in is supposed to describe the gradual settling in of the design parameters of the cone diaphragms (the things that vibrate back and forth to create the air pressure changes that we interpret as sound in our ears) into their intended or optimal state. After this period, proponents claim they are able to vibrate more freely, thus allowing for better sound."
"Matt Engstrom, director of monitoring products at Shure, admits there is evidence that suggests transducers in larger headphones can experience burn-in, and that this could, in theory, produce different sound over time. Again, no one has shown this conclusively, largely because a) companies aren't rushing to tell audiophiles they've been wrong all these years and b) there's no single industry standard for testing headphones.
This much is known: When it comes to the tiny balanced armatures used in many earphones, there's just not the same potential for mechanical deviation. We're talking about things the size of a baby's tooth. And unlike the large drivers in over-the-ear headphones, there's just not that much room for things to change."

If you can read and understand english then the truth is staring at you in the face, in the above highlighted quote from an engineer who is probably more qualified to speak about the subject of burn in than most of us Head Fi members :wink:
I worked in a speaker factory , part of my job involved replacing drivers that had been damaged
All the drivers in our speakers were tested before and after installation and the results kept on file
Replacing a damaged driver involved re-testing the remaining drivers so the computer could select a matching driver from stores
Comparing the re-test with the drivers original test often showed subtle differences , consensus was that the tension and elasticity of the supporting structures do change over time as does the rigidity of the cone
However the concept of "....intended or optimal state . " I would characterise as wishful thinking
Just listen , enjoy and be happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back