Which multimeter ?
Jul 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

splaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

Haven't been around in a while. Been so time poor lately haven't really had time for any DIY, let alone music and even headphones.
frown.gif

Anyway, my meter has kicked the bucket, so I'm in the market for a new one.

I did have a Protek one that had a heap of features, datalogging and graphical representations etc. however I rarely if ever used those features, it had a few firmare bugs/glitche that were annoying, it drained batteries very quickly even when off and I was always hesitant taking it up a ladder.

Budget is around $200-300 for a new one, I'm considering Agilent, Hioki, Fluke or Amprobe at the moment.

Going for ruggedness and reliability as well as features at the best price point.

Considering the following models:

Agilent 1241B/1242B
Hioki 3275-50
Fluke 115/116/117
Amprobe 34XR-A/37XR-A

Now I'm probably going to get a small pocket/credit card meter now for just a meter to throw in the tool bag.

I'm trying to decide though, I've tried to do a bit of research but nothing much turns up for non-fluke meters. Agilent seems to be high quality but reasonably priced, Hioki seems to be good but overpriced and hard to get, Fluke is also high quality but overpriced, obviously far more common though and so have never really been a fan despite the glowing recommendations, Amprobe seems to be good bang for buck but are they up there in quality ?

If anyone has any thoughts or firsthand experience I would be grateful.

Leaning towards Agilent at the moment.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Haven't been around in a while. Been so time poor lately haven't really had time for any DIY, let alone music and even headphones.
frown.gif

Anyway, my meter has kicked the bucket, so I'm in the market for a new one.
I did have a Protek one that had a heap of features, datalogging and graphical representations etc. however I rarely if ever used those features, it had a few firmare bugs/glitche that were annoying, it drained batteries very quickly even when off and I was always hesitant taking it up a ladder.
Budget is around $200-300 for a new one, I'm considering Agilent, Hioki, Fluke or Amprobe at the moment.
Going for ruggedness and reliability as well as features at the best price point.
Considering the following models:

Agilent 1241B/1242B
Hioki 3275-50
Fluke 115/116/117
Amprobe 34XR-A/37XR-A

Now I'm probably going to get a small pocket/credit card meter now for just a meter to throw in the tool bag.
I'm trying to decide though, I've tried to do a bit of research but nothing much turns up for non-fluke meters. Agilent seems to be high quality but reasonably priced, Hioki seems to be good but overpriced and hard to get, Fluke is also high quality but overpriced, obviously far more common though and so have never really been a fan despite the glowing recommendations, Amprobe seems to be good bang for buck but are they up there in quality ?
If anyone has any thoughts or firsthand experience I would be grateful.

For a low cost pocket meter, the DT830 digital multi-meter.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the input guys, been procrastinating away. Hard to source some of them over here.

There's a deal at the moment where Agilent will throw in the 1272 multimeter with an E3611 power supply. Tempting. Back to procrastinating.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Budget is around $200-300

Any particular reason you can't wait a month and make it $400? That's where things get really solid in electronics DMMs, IMHO.

I'm considering Agilent, Hioki, Fluke or Amprobe

I know next to nothing about Hioki. I happened to be shopping for a DC current clamp a few weeks ago, and came away with the impression that they're a Japanese Amprobe wannabe, but that's nothing but a superficial impression.

Amprobe was bought by Fluke's parent company several years ago. The two product lines are fairly well differentiated. By that I mean, I haven't yet found instances where you have two directly competing products, even in Amprobe's core business, current clamps. Generally, everything Fluke has that competes with something Amprobe also offers, it's only by being in the same general market segment, rather than being a 1:1 match, differing only in price. So, you select which one to go with based on the features you need and whether you can get it for the price you're willing to spend.

As for Agilent, you kind of have to be careful there. In recent years, they've been filling in the low end of their product line with made-in-China rebadges. I'd therefore put their portable DMMs roughly on par with other up-front made-in-China brands like Protek. The main difference is going to be in support, rather than product quality. (Their bench meters are an entirely different deal. They're the true Agilents.)

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of buying an Agilent. They've been on this path for 5 years or so now, and you aren't hearing horror stories about them, so these new portable DMMs must be decent, at least.

Agilent 1241B/1242B

Of the choices you give, I like this best. 10,000 count, capacitance...this is a good meter for electronics. The differences in the -42 model seem aimed at the industrial market.

That's based purely on a datasheet read, however. I'd give a stronger recommendation if I'd actually used an Agilent handheld DMM.

Hioki 3275-50

That's a high-frequency DC current clamp for an oscilloscope.

You must have transposed the digits, and meant the 3257-50.

I don't like it. It's only a 4,200 count machine and has no cap meter. You can do good work with it, but unless it's a lot cheaper than the other meters you're looking at and you really do have to save that money, I'd avoid this one.

On top of that, hioki.com's DMM page says it's current as of "November 1, 2002". You want to trust a company who's paying that little attention to its web site? Maybe they've got their poop in a group in other areas, but they clearly don't care much about their DMM line.

Fluke 115/116/117

I'm a big Fluke fan, but I don't like this series for DIY electronics. The series is targeted at industrial applications, with each model designed for a particular subset of those applications. This is why you can only get temperature measurement in one model in the series (the 116) but to get that you have to give up on a milliamp DC range. I've found both useful in my DIY work, but you can't get them together in this series. And why have they done this? Because the 116 is the HVAC tech meter, where they need temperature measurement for obvious reasons, and only need a microamps DC range for testing flame sensors.

If you want a Fluke, go for the 170 series at least.

Or as I say above, save your shekels for another month and get the one you actually want, a 280 series machine. Yes, a top-of-the-line 289 is pricey, but you aren't likely to break it or outgrow it.

Yes, you can kill a Fluke, but it generally takes malice aforethought.

Yes, you might, maybe, someday want a 4-wire bench meter, but even then, having a portable as well is a fine thing. (It's often very helpful to have two or more meters taking simultaneous measurements, in fact.) Meanwhile, a 289 isn't "too much meter." Every feature it has can be used productively in DIY audio electronics.

If you can't quite talk yourself into a 287 or 289, at least take a look at the 89-V. I'm not wild about it. It's not just a throwback in the sense of being from Fluke's earlier design school with the separate rubber bumpers (good) but it also has old-school misfeatures like running in 6,000 count mode by default, requiring you to hold down the backlight (!) button for a second to shift it into 20,000 count precision mode so you can get the resolution you paid for. It seems Mickey Mouse to me. Nevertheless, it's still very good for DIY electronics.

Amprobe 34XR-A/37XR-A

Meh. It's a 4,000 count meter, but at least it's got a cap meter built in.

Between the cap meter and the fact that it comes from the Fluke (actually Danaher) Empire, It's a better choice than the Hioki.

Nevertheless, I think you should aim higher.

Fluke is...overpriced

Only if you're comparing its made-in-USA meters to made-in-China meters, and looking at features only.

Durability, support, and geopolitics are good reasons to tolerate the higher price.

never really been a fan despite the glowing recommendations

How do you suppose Fluke has maintained that reputation in the Internet age? flukesucks.com is a GoDaddy domain parking page. Why? Because there's nothing to put there.

Yes, I'm exaggerating. Certainly someone could say something bad about Fluke besides "they're expensive."

Gimme a month or three to think about it.

Hmmm....

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for your long, informative reply tangent.

Might be a bit of a confusing read, for some reason my quotes aren't nested within yours (or is that just the way it is?)

Added my thoughts in blue for now, might try and tidy up/reformat it later on.

Quote:

Any particular reason you can't wait a month and make it $400? That's where things get really solid in electronics DMMs, IMHO.

Well I can spend $400, it's just coming out of my tax return money, sort of a pool of cash for tools and other bits for work. If it's worth it I'll stretch that far. The only issue is that even with the mighty Aussie dollar, everything here is much more expensive, you can get around it by buying online from overseas and it's usually worth it, but often you shoot yourself in the foot with regard to support and not all places ship direct to Australia.

I know next to nothing about Hioki. I happened to be shopping for a DC current clamp a few weeks ago, and came away with the impression that they're a Japanese Amprobe wannabe, but that's nothing but a superficial impression.

My old man's a sparky and has some Hioki gear, meggers I think. Said they were pretty good but bloody expensive.

Amprobe was bought by Fluke's parent company several years ago. The two product lines are fairly well differentiated. By that I mean, I haven't yet found instances where you have two directly competing products, even in Amprobe's core business, current clamps. Generally, everything Fluke has that competes with something Amprobe also offers, it's only by being in the same general market segment, rather than being a 1:1 match, differing only in price. So, you select which one to go with based on the features you need and whether you can get it for the price you're willing to spend.

Fair enough, Amprobe also merged/took over Meterman I noticed. So I guess Fluke is the premium meter, Amprobe is the cheaper, value for money line.

As for Agilent, you kind of have to be careful there. In recent years, they've been filling in the low end of their product line with made-in-China rebadges. I'd therefore put their portable DMMs roughly on par with other up-front made-in-China brands like Protek. The main difference is going to be in support, rather than product quality. (Their bench meters are an entirely different deal. They're the true Agilents.)

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of buying an Agilent. They've been on this path for 5 years or so now, and you aren't hearing horror stories about them, so these new portable DMMs must be decent, at least.

Well, my dead meter is Protek. Really annoying fault and only got about 4 years out of it, with no abuse at all, I babied it if anything. Also had a few datalogging bugs that I never had any joy in getting resolved, couldn't even find any support for it at all.

I get what you're saying but from tear downs I've seen on line of a few Agilent DMMs, the quality does seem to be pretty good at least even if they are made in China or similar.

Agilent 1241/1242

Of the choices you give, I like this best. 10,000 count, capacitance...this is a good meter for electronics. The differences in the -42 model seem aimed at the industrial market.

That's based purely on a datasheet read, however. I'd give a stronger recommendation if I'd actually used an Agilent handheld DMM.

Hioki 3275-50

That's a high-frequency DC current clamp for an oscilloscope.

You must have transposed the digits, and meant the 3257-50.

I don't like it. It's only a 4,200 count machine and has no cap meter. You can do good work with it, but unless it's a lot cheaper than the other meters you're looking at and you really do have to save that money, I'd avoid this one.

Yes, my fingers have a mind of their own, 3257 it is. Well I got prices on one, the 3256-50, which isn't True RMS and it was up about $350AU. So yes, not too keen on this one.

On top of that, hioki.com's DMM page says it's current as of "November 1, 2002". You want to trust a company who's paying that little attention to its web site? Maybe they've got their poop in a group in other areas, but they clearly don't care much about their DMM line.

I agree, their site is very outdated, although it may be they have some up to date Japanese site, I know a few Japanese brands are pretty slack in offering English pages or maintaining them.

Fluke 115/116/117

I'm a big Fluke fan, but I don't like this series for DIY electronics. The series is targeted at industrial applications, with each model designed for a particular subset of those applications. This is why you can only get temperature measurement in one model in the series (the 116) but to get that you have to give up on a milliamp DC range. I've found both useful in my DIY work, but you can't get them together in this series. And why have they done this? Because the 116 is the HVAC tech meter, where they need temperature measurement for obvious reasons, and only need a microamps DC range for testing flame sensors.

If you want a Fluke, go for the 170 series at least.

Or as I say above, save your shekels for another month and get the one you actually want, a 280 series machine. Yes, a top-of-the-line 289 is pricey, but you aren't likely to break it or outgrow it.

Yes, you can kill a Fluke, but it generally takes malice aforethought.

Yes, you might, maybe, someday want a 4-wire bench meter, but even then, having a portable as well is a fine thing. (It's often very helpful to have two or more meters taking simultaneous measurements, in fact.) Meanwhile, a 289 isn't "too much meter." Every feature it has can be used productively in DIY audio electronics.

If you can't quite talk yourself into a 287 or 289, at least take a look at the 89-V. I'm not wild about it. It's not just a throwback in the sense of being from Fluke's earlier design school with the separate rubber bumpers (good) but it also has old-school misfeatures like running in 6,000 count mode by default, requiring you to hold down the backlight (!) button for a second to shift it into 20,000 count precision mode so you can get the resolution you paid for. It seems Mickey Mouse to me. Nevertheless, it's still very good for DIY electronics.

Well, Fluke 289 locally is $655+GST so just over $700+ AU
eek.gif

Looks like a very nice meter though
biggrin.gif

Will keep the 170 series in mind, any thoughts on the 77/87 as well ?

Amprobe 34XR-A/37XR-A

Meh. It's a 4,000 count meter, but at least it's got a cap meter built in.

Between the cap meter and the fact that it comes from the Fluke (actually Danaher) Empire, It's a better choice than the Hioki.

Nevertheless, I think you should aim higher.

I agree 100%.

Fluke is...overpriced

Only if you're comparing its made-in-USA meters to made-in-China meters, and looking at features only.

Durability, support, and geopolitics are good reasons to tolerate the higher price.

Yes but I live in the land of, "let's take everyone for a ride just because we can." 
biggrin.gif
 Plus personally, made in the USA doesn't hold as much sway as obviously it would in the US where patriotism and national pride surely play a part. It is only my perception but Made in Europe/Japan is as equally if not more prized over here. Depends who you talk to though. 
wink.gif
 Although durability and support are excellent points, depends if it's worth paying for them though.

never really been a fan despite the glowing recommendations

How do you suppose Fluke has maintained that reputation in the Internet age? flukesucks.com is a GoDaddy domain parking page. Why? Because there's nothing to put there.

Yes, I'm exaggerating. Certainly someone could say something bad about Fluke besides "they're expensive."

Gimme a month or three to think about it.

Hmmm....

All good points, I guess though I've always had a thing about wanting better value or undervalued products over what's hyped as the best of the best and costs an arm, leg and a kidney, to the point though where I may overlook what is actually a very good product. Problem is that price is not so in proportion over here, for anything that is perceived high end the price starts going up exponentially, double and even triple the US price isn't unheard of for some gear.

Agilent's prices do seem much more in line and proportionate to overseas prices.

It might help to clarify I'm after a meter for two purposes, at home as a DIY electronics tinkerer and also for work. At the moment I'm just a Security/Comms Tech so it's all ELV, all fairly basic stuff. Mainly just need a bit of durability so if dropped or taking a trip in the tool bag it won't break. I may be getting a Restricted Electrical licence in future, although that's up in the air at this point, I also haven't completely ruled out doing an electrical apprenticeship in future.

Ultimately I want something feature packed for electronics but with a bit of durability to take being out on site or on call, that may scale up to electrical work in future and I would stretch my budget further if it's a meter for life or at least a fairly long time, until the next new shiny thing comes along. 
biggrin.gif

At the moment I am strongly considering the Agilent 1271/1272, as I said there is a deal where you buy an Agilent power supply and get the 1272 DMM thrown in, which would be handy as I could use a bench supply. But then that ends up costing about $100 less than a Fluke  289 locally (although still need a few accesories). Otherwise I could go for a lesser Fluke locally or go the imported Fluke route and hope I don't need support for it in future.

Really pushing the budget though going further up the Fluke line. Blah. 
tongue.gif

Decisions, decisions.

Any thoughts on the Agilent 1272 tangent ?

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 13
for some reason my quotes aren't nested within yours (or is that just the way it is?)

The default "quote and reply" mechanism of this forum software is...shall we say...basic.

If you want to do something like my post above, start with a clean reply, then create quote blocks for each topic you want to deal with separately.

from tear downs I've seen on line of a few Agilent DMMs, the quality does seem to be pretty good at least even if they are made in China or similar.

There's quite a range of quality available from Chinese manufacturers.

My point wasn't to denigrate Chinese manufacturing, but to warn that "Agilent" doesn't always mean "straight outta Silicon Valley" any more.

Plus personally, made in the USA doesn't hold as much sway as obviously it would in the US where patriotism and national pride surely play a part. 

If there were an Australian DMM maker, you should of course give it extra points in a comparison.

Made in Europe/Japan is as equally if not more prized over here.

In that case, you should add Gossen-Metrawatt to your list. I believe they're made in Germany.

Their Metrahit Tech and Metrahit ETech units look like similar ones to what we're talking about. (Or the Xtra or Extra versions, higher up the scale.)

I'll bet you find they're in the same price neighborhood as Fluke and Hioki, though.

I'd suggest Rohde & Schwarz, but they haven't even bothered with the portable DMM market. They don't even bother with 2-wire only DMMs.

Although durability and support are excellent points, depends if it's worth paying for them though.

My dad was an electrician, too. He bought a Beckman DMM in the mid-80's that's still working just fine today.

The Fluke 73-II I bought 20 years ago, which is pretty much on-par feature-wise with that old Beckman is also still working perfectly, though it hasn't seen nearly as harsh an environment as the Beckman.

Point being, if a quality meter will last even twice as long, it'll pay for itself. And, we long since passed the time when DMMs were progressing in important ways in leaps and bounds. A late model Fluke 80 series unit is still quite a respectable machine, even today. Not as many features as on a 289, but probably not far off the 289's accuracy and durability. And with calibration, you can keep an old meter in working shape indefinitely.

until the next new shiny thing comes along.

Just wanted to stress the point...test equipment doesn't follow Moore's Law to quite the same extent as computers, though DMMs are computerized.

I'm a compulsive computer upgrader, but my DMMs and scope are all "old." Nothing that's come along since for the same price has been compelling enough yet.

You can expect screens to keep getting better, and memories to keep getting deeper, and I/O to get even better (WiFi DMMs next?) but don't expect the accuracy to get better. Tomorrow's DMM likely won't answer any questions today's won't.

Well, maybe not. Maybe Fluke will put that spiffy 2-probe Kelvin feature into their next DMM. That'd be schmick. (See, I can speak Australian, too.)

there is a deal where you buy an Agilent power supply and get the 1272 DMM thrown in

Agilent power supplies are awfully nice. Maybe "too nice" for hobbyists, though. :)

Cheaper power supplies range from garbage to really quite usable. I really like B+K's offerings here. Much more reasonably priced, and with all the sharp corners knocked off, relative to what you find at the low end.

go the imported Fluke route and hope I don't need support for it in future.

Once you get outside the warranty period, a local cal lab can probably do anything Fluke can.

Then again, Fluke's warranty is fairly awesome.

If this is truly an issue for you, you might look at eBaying a Fluke. Budget a calibration or gamble, as you choose.

Any thoughts on the Agilent 1272 tangent ?

It looks tougher to kill than the U1241A, gets you closer to the performance of a Fluke 289, and gets you a non-contact voltage detector, which may be helpful in your electrical work.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the link MisterX.

The default "quote and reply" mechanism of this forum software is...shall we say...basic.

If you want to do something like my post above, start with a clean reply, then create quote blocks for each topic you want to deal with separately.

Sorted. Still doesn't seem to show a quote within a quote though. 
frown.gif

There's quite a range of quality available from Chinese manufacturers.

My point wasn't to denigrate Chinese manufacturing, but to warn that "Agilent" doesn't always mean "straight outta Silicon Valley" any more.

If there were an Australian DMM maker, you should of course give it extra points in a comparison.

Fair enough, just thought I'd mention that Protek isn't rating very highly with me at the moment. 

Nah, I'd stay away from an Australian DMM if there was one. Probably wouldn't work out of the box because they didn't bother putting the fuses in, would've been smoko time.  
wink.gif

In that case, you should add Gossen-Metrawatt to your list. I believe they're made in Germany.

Their Metrahit Tech and Metrahit ETech units look like similar ones to what we're talking about. (Or the Xtra or Extra versions, higher up the scale.)

I'll bet you find they're in the same price neighborhood as Fluke and Hioki, though.

I'd suggest Rohde & Schwarz, but they haven't even bothered with the portable DMM market. They don't even bother with 2-wire only DMMs.

I've had a look and the price, I'm still  trying to get my jaw off the floor. Although that's RS and Farnell/element14 in general for you.

My dad was an electrician, too. He bought a Beckman DMM in the mid-80's that's still working just fine today.

The Fluke 73-II I bought 20 years ago, which is pretty much on-par feature-wise with that old Beckman is also still working perfectly, though it hasn't seen nearly as harsh an environment as the Beckman.

Point being, if a quality meter will last even twice as long, it'll pay for itself. And, we long since passed the time when DMMs were progressing in important ways in leaps and bounds. A late model Fluke 80 series unit is still quite a respectable machine, even today. Not as many features as on a 289, but probably not far off the 289's accuracy and durability. And with calibration, you can keep an old meter in working shape indefinitely.

Congratulations, thoroughly convinced me to spend big. 
biggrin.gif

Just wanted to stress the point...test equipment doesn't follow Moore's Law to quite the same extent as computers, though DMMs are computerized.

I'm a compulsive computer upgrader, but my DMMs and scope are all "old." Nothing that's come along since for the same price has been compelling enough yet.

You can expect screens to keep getting better, and memories to keep getting deeper, and I/O to get even better (WiFi DMMs next?) but don't expect the accuracy to get better. Tomorrow's DMM likely won't answer any questions today's won't.

Well, maybe not. Maybe Fluke will put that spiffy 2-probe Kelvin feature into their next DMM. That'd be schmick. (See, I can speak Australian, too.)

Well I don't think WiFi is far off or even just wired IP, put your meter/s on the network and view them over the net, hurrah!

Yes you can speak Australian, but do you understand it ? 
tongue.gif

I had an Italian guy I was working with and I'd say something like "She'll be right" to which he'd reply "I don't get it, it is clearly not right, it is stuffed." A bit lost in translation I think. 

Agilent power supplies are awfully nice. Maybe "too nice" for hobbyists, though. :)

Cheaper power supplies range from garbage to really quite usable. I really like B+K's offerings here. Much more reasonably priced, and with all the sharp corners knocked off, relative to what you find at the low end.

Well I have an Agilent power supply now, well I will do when it's off a 4 week back order. Hmph.

Once you get outside the warranty period, a local cal lab can probably do anything Fluke can.

Then again, Fluke's warranty is fairly awesome.

If this is truly an issue for you, you might look at eBaying a Fluke. Budget a calibration or gamble, as you choose.

It looks tougher to kill than the U1241A, gets you closer to the performance of a Fluke 289, and gets you a non-contact voltage detector, which may be helpful in your electrical work.

Well I went with an Agilent 1272 DMM and an Agilent 3611 bench power supply. A few accessories and a case. Deal at the moment was too good to pass up, must really be trying to push them.

Thanks for your help tangent, ever helpful as always and making it much easier to rationalise my purchases. 
wink.gif

I might put up some impressions here and I still need to get my cheap beater meter sorted so will keep suggestions in mind.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 13
I don't think WiFi is far off 

I'm less certain. There are two big problems with putting WiFi into a meter.

First, you have to do it in a way that the radio doesn't interfere with the nearby high-sensitivity measurement inputs.

Second, it chews into battery life, always a big concern with portable instruments. You don't really want to have a docking cradle for your "portable" DMM to charge its multi-thousand mAh LiIon battery, just so it can get back into the barely-acceptable 50 hour runtime range you get with a current meter on a 9V battery.

or even just wired IP

I think that's even less likely than WiFi. You can't get a CAT-IV safety rating on a meter that can be galvanically connected to what is effectively a CAT-I electrical network, unless the Ethernet MAC chip is galvanically isolated from the rest of the meter. That in itself is tricky, given the high bit rate of even 10BaseT.

This is why portable DMMs with data logging capabilities use some form of IR data transmission. IrDA, IR-to-serial, etc.

Obviously it can be done. Agilent's 34410A bench meter has wired Ethernet. (LXI) Even so, they've only chosen to go for a CAT-II rating, which is the least you'd expect from a meter that is itself wall-powered.

I went with an Agilent 1272 DMM and an Agilent 3611 bench power supply.

Congratulations! May you get decades of use from them.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Unfortunately, no, it's quite credible.

Such meters are fine for battery testing, and basic continuity testing. When they inevitably break, you throw them away like you would a Kleenex. Expect much more, and you'll be disappointed.

Every DIYer should have a meter such as this, if only to act as a sacrificial test meter.

Don't use one on anything more than 30-40 V or so, though. You'd be gambling that it doesn't decide to assassinate you. The insulation and shielding in such meters is nearly nonexistent.

This also means you shouldn't use such a meter on anything with an AC power cord, even if the power cord goes straight to a low-voltage power supply circuit, and you only want to test the low voltage side. One slip, and you could end up fried.

Such a meter is fine for use on wall-wart-powered devices, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back