Which Multimeter?
Jun 6, 2003 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sonichead

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a multimeter at radio shack, and they have a lot of them, anyone know which is best for amp bulding?

I bought the 29 range one because it was on sale, but when I got home, it gave me crazy values for some things, and would not test batteries on it's test settings. Is it just defective? Did I kill it?

Jun 7, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 17
Last time i checked, you had to spend $100 plus for a decent DMM. I think mine cost me like $120 or something some years back. Also, I wouldn't buy a Rat Shack meter. You might check out a Tenma from MCM. A good meter is worth the investment. It should last many years.

Jun 7, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 17
I just received a rat-shack multimeter free of charge from a very generous Head-Fi member! It seems to work well, the measurements are off by a slight amount, but it is very consistant (gives the exact same, very slightly off measurement every time) - so it would still work perfectly for parts matching, etc.

-dd3mon

Jun 7, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 17
I too recommend Fluke. Mine is 15 years old and still perfect.
But just a side note. If this is a home
electronics bench a scope might serve you better in the long
run. With 10x probs must scopes can handle almost any home
diy project. (from a high voltage point, if needed)
Plus it gives you the advantage of being able to
look at signals and view any possible distortion etc.

I know these are much more expensive than a ddm but just wanted to throw that out to you.

Jun 7, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
I just received a rat-shack multimeter free of charge from a very generous Head-Fi member! It seems to work well, the measurements are off by a slight amount, but it is very consistant (gives the exact same, very slightly off measurement every time) - so it would still work perfectly for parts matching, etc.

-dd3mon

Check inside, it should have internal adjustments, like a resistor or so....

Jun 7, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 17
Well the first one broke after 5 min, then the second one didn't come with a battery (and the one it needed cost 3.30) so I opened it to put in the battery, well when I closed the case, it wouldn't open. The salesperson there tried to open it, and despite her long nails and a screwdriver, the thing stayed shut. I returned it. I left. I went to home depot. There, I found a great one, a little yellow pocket one that works great. Thanks everyone.

Jun 7, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by yejun
sears' DMM is cheaper.

LOL...they are also more durable. I've had one of those bounce around in my tool box for the last few years and while it doesn't hold a candle to my Fluke it gets the job done.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 17
I have a pretty cheap meter, but it gets the job done. Good 'nuff for parts matching, as mentioned above.

Oh, and when you blow the fuse in the ammeter, DON'T replace it with a paper clip. I killed mine that way.
redface.gif

Jun 8, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by winston61
There's only one name in multi meters- Fluke. Built last a lifetime. Ask any pro what they use, there's just one answer- Fluke

It must be the worst misnomer ever....

Jun 8, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by yejun
why need lifetime?
new technology is being out all the time.

Because in 100 years, the preferred method of measuring resistors by my great great grandkids will still be by firing up my Fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back