Which MP3 Software?
Oct 4, 2002 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

This is my first post. I hope this is an appropriate question here.

I have just gotten into the headphone and mp3 world. I would like some advice on which all-in-one software to go with to encode/decode mp3s. Since I am using some nice headphones and a portable amp, I am wondering if there is any quality differences btween encoders?

Also what bitrate would you recommend for the best quality/size ratio. 192 seems to be what others have mentioned. Thank you.

Gregg

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Gregg,

There have been quite a few posts on MP3 software lately, check around the forum for more details and other opinions.

That said, I think the overwhelleming response will be that an "all-in-one software" solution will not produce the best sound results. The best sound results will come from a combination of E.A.C. for ripping, Lame for encoding, and various decoders with WinAmp being most people's favorite. If you want to try to go down this route check out the following link, which is a good start for beginners ... http://www.zeropaid.com/news/article.../10012002d.php. The setting which the site recommends, -APS, will produce files with bit rates that average around 190-200 kbits/s.

If you are determined to go down the all-in-one software route. I used MusicMatch before being "educated" and it does have great have all-in-one the functionality ... rip, encode, decode, library, burning, transfer to protables (at least it was integrated with my Intel PocketConcert so I could transcode to lower bit rates if I wanted to pack more in, and easily download mixes, in fact I still keep MusicMatch around just for that reason). Although many people rave about Media Jukebox 8.0, so I would check that out before deciding.

Zin

Oct 4, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 6
So separate software is the way to go? OK. I will consider ths oute now.

Thanks alot.

Gregg

Oct 5, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 6
I am trying out the shareware verison of Easy CD-DA right now. It is easy to use. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 5, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 6
I think the best solution is to go with various separate programs, so you get the best features.

EAC/LAME is the best for encoding.

CDex works too, just make sure you enter the LAME command line correctly.

WinAmp2 (not version 3) is simple and easy for just playing mp3's on the computer or for creating playlists. Just drag/drop files into it.

Since you've gone with the NJB3, just use PlayCenter to transfer music over. Otherwise, it's mp3 encoder isn't as good as LAME, and the program is too klunky to manage your music.

You might also want to look at Notmad (not free) which is an alternative to PlayCenter and should work better than it.

For an all-in-one option or better yet, just a program that manages all your mp3's, Windows Media Player 9 (still in beta) looks quite impressive. I hear Media Jukebox is also excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back