Which MP3 Player?
Jun 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FearsomeUnicorn

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Im new here.

I just bought the SE315 from Shure, Amazing headphones, I am in love with them.
But the downside is, I use them on my Samsung S4. I can jsut hear the the Phone is holding back the amazing quality of the headphones.

I was recommend in two things. Buying a DAC for the S4 of buying a new MP3 Player.

In both categories I have zero understanding in what products are good.

I heard that the Cowon players are very good, but which one would be moneys worth for my Shure SE315?

Please give me suggestions.

Kind Regards

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 20
I have a Cowon Z2 and I absolutely adore it. However, it does have a few very notable flaws:
1) It doesn;t come with the Play Store for Android (Not a problem for some people);
2) If you add the Store yourself, downloading apps causes the player to become VERY slow and skip a lot.
3) The built-in music app is not very user-friendly and can be buggy.

There are workarounds, but it's something to be aware of. Sound-wise, it blows my mind and, as i said, I love it for that. But you should ONLY buy it for the sound.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Hmm oke I'll look into the Cowon Z2.

And for the SE315, how does the iBasso DX50 go with it? and in comparison with the Cowon Z2 (or any Cowon), how is the DX50.
Saw that one also a lot on the internet (along with the Fiio x3 and AK100).

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 20
  Hmm oke I'll look into the Cowon Z2.

And for the SE315, how does the iBasso DX50 go with it? and in comparison with the Cowon Z2 (or any Cowon), how is the DX50.
Saw that one also a lot on the internet (along with the Fiio x3 and AK100).

I have no idea on comparisons, I only own the Z2. All I can say is that it blows iPods, stock PC's etc out of the water in terms of sound quality.

PM me if you need any help with Z2 issues, if oyu decide to buy one that is :p

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 20
Save money for ibasso dx90 or fiio x5.The best performance for buck  players according to various users(i have dx90).Now you have a capable source to compliment the various headphones and iems that you will be getting (trust me on this
redface.gif
) as you get deeper into this hobby.Make sure your songs are in some kind of lossless format (usually flac) or at the very least mp3 320 and you're set.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 20
Think of it this way.You will get every ounce of performance  the se315 can provide(and better clarity,detail,bass control,treble and soundstage than dx50) without limiting the gear that you will be buying in the future.

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 20
I got my eye on the dx90 (preferring above fiio cause of the optionel 2tb compatible sd slot)

Are there other mensionable players? Or am i done with dx90 in this price range?

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016
Fiio x5 has 2 sd slots while ibasso dx90 one but has otg.That's about it.Then there is sony zx1 with fixed 128gb storage but no sd slot.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 20
I got my eye on the dx90 (preferring above fiio cause of the optionel 2tb compatible sd slot)

Are there other mensionable players? Or am i done with dx90 in this price range?

It might e wise to note that no-one makes 2TB Micro-SD cards yet. The software exists to run them, but there's no demand for SD cards that cost hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros/coconuts yet. That doesn't mean they won't ever be made, but it's worth keeping in mind.

The Fiio X5 currently has more storage capacity (I believe), as it takes two SD cards up to 256GB. I may stand to be corrected on the fact though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back