Which mp3 player to buy? iAudioX5L or the Zen Touch 40GB?
Aug 9, 2006 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Matt L.

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying a Zen Touch 40GB because I've decided to download music by albums. However, the only way to get that darn mp3 player for $240, is on newegg.com; and it's ALWAYS out of stock! There's an 'open box' Zen Touch 40GB for $200, but I don't know what that means, so I'm just not taking any chances.

However, a friend of mine had recently showed me that he had an iAudio X5L, and it seemed to fascinate me. I want to learn more, but I can't. Some of the millions of questions that pops up into my mind when I think about the iAudio X5L and buying it, is:
-Is there a wallpaper?
-Is that an ANALOG STICK that they use to navigate?!
-How do they navigate? (Good, bad, alright)
-How are the file transferring?
-How does it feel? Is it too bulky or what not?

Anyways, I'm looking for the 'perfect' mp3 player for me. I listen to all sorts of music for special occasions as well. Whether it would be photoshopping, working out, or on a car ride. I need to make the right decision here, and I need your help.

I used to have an iPod Nano (2GB), but unfortunately, it overheated. But it's a long story, so let's just pretend I didn't say that.

Now I need suggestions. SUGGEST!.. please.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 14
1. im fairly sure you can change the wallpaper, but there is also rockbox available for the X5, which kicks ass. Better sound quality, a ton more options, more file format support, themeing, and games.

2. Im not sure what you mean by analog, but its not like the PS2 controllers joystick, its just up/down/right/left. Only problem with it is that people report that it breaks after several months of use.

3. Not sure, but i guess rockbox will be different from the default firmware.

4. File transfers seem to work with most USB devices, but it is usb 1.1 so you wont get any more than 1MB/sec. This applies to all other mp3 players as well.

Are you referring to the USB on the go functionality or the transferring of files from the computer onto the player? transferring to the player is just drag n drop with USB 2.

5. Its fairly small. Its made of aluminum so it probably feels pretty solid.

you should check out iaudiophile.net

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Matt L.
I have had a Zen Touch for about two years now. I also have a iRiver h120 which is reputed to have excellent sound but also a bit of hiss for low-impedance headphones. The Zen sounds about as good but without the hiss.

The thing that is almost unique about the Zen is that it will last over 24 hours on one battery charge playing MP3 192kbps.

Obviously, I am very happy with mine.

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 14
the x5 has the option of rockbox, and once that is full working the x5l battery will be even more amazing then it currently is.

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 14
I recently purchased the X5L and love it.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt L.
but what about the headphones? I heard that you must buy new headphones for the iAudioX5 because the ones that come with it are bad.

This is true nomatter which mp3 player you buy.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 14
I've owned both and they are both GREAT players. (experience with X5, not X5L)

Like the above said, you'll want a new pair of headphones, regardless of the player you buy.

As far as sound in concerned, nothing I've heard beats the X5. Then again, I haven't heard all that much, but it does sound better than Creative's players.

In this current situation, the only real advantage I see that the Touch has over the X5L is the ability to browse by ID3 (purely opinion). I like to be able to browse by Artist or Song title. The way my computer is organized, I could only browse by artist on the X5L.

Navigation, once again, is subjective. The X5's was harder at first because it isn't obvious, but once you know what everything does, it's simple. Creative's is easier to pick up.

In general, I like something tactile rather than a touch-sensitive thing, even though touch-sensitive is cooler.

It allows you to use your own wallpaper.

All in all, I'd say the X5L is the better value. Just a great all-around player in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 14
i have a 40 gig zen touch that i use with my SR-60's

its a good player overall i think, i've had it for about 1.5 years now and sound quality seems to be good, except im not a fan of the EG settings.

but, i really dont know much about the other player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back