Which MP3 player to buy for $150 or less?
Dec 29, 2006 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

crazychile

1000+ Head-Fier
We bought my 7 year old daughter a Fisher Price MP3 player for Christmas. It is definitely designed for a kid and has a rugged case. The problem is we've been through two of them so far because they lock up.

So my wife and I decided to return the Fisher Price a final time and buy a "real" mp3 player for our daughter. The budget is $150 max. I would rather buy an iPod shuffle for $79 and pocket the rest but my wife wants to get one that has a display.

So I am leaning towards the 2GB iPod Nano. Mostly because I have a 30GB video iPod and like it a lot. I have all of my music loaded into a Mac Mini w/ external HD's. If we get an other iPod I think it would be easy to just use that computer to manage files for both. We will be mostly loading up my daughters iPod with childrens stories and stuff like that.

So what do you guys think about this plan? I have other computers and could use a player that is PC based if it is lots better. If there is something that is kind of rugged, that would be great. Although if I buy the iPod if was going to buy a case and probably a warranty.

Thanks in advance,

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We bought my 7 year old daughter a Fisher Price MP3 player for Christmas. It is definitely designed for a kid and has a rugged case. The problem is we've been through two of them so far because they lock up.

So my wife and I decided to return the Fisher Price a final time and buy a "real" mp3 player for our daughter. The budget is $150 max. I would rather buy an iPod shuffle for $79 and pocket the rest but my wife wants to get one that has a display.

So I am leaning towards the 2GB iPod Nano. Mostly because I have a 30GB video iPod and like it a lot. I have all of my music loaded into a Mac Mini w/ external HD's. If we get an other iPod I think it would be easy to just use that computer to manage files for both. We will be mostly loading up my daughters iPod with childrens stories and stuff like that.

So what do you guys think about this plan? I have other computers and could use a player that is PC based if it is lots better. If there is something that is kind of rugged, that would be great. Although if I buy the iPod if was going to buy a case and probably a warranty.

Thanks in advance,

I think an ipod nano in a silicone case of some sort would be the best bet. Good luck.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 12
2gb Nano is on AppleStore as a refurb for $99, 4gb is $149. Refurb is like new. They update daily.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I am shopping for same budget because my wife has fallen in love with the iPod I bought for me but told her would be hers (it gets weird, but I had to do that get away with another purchase). Now I just need a Nano to augment "her" 30gig 5G so I can use my Grados or Shures/MisterX XP amp via dock.

I need the following requirements: Uses same docking element as 5G (to share amp and IC); great SQ; syncs with iTunes; has lots of available accessories.

I am headed toward a refurbished 2 or 4 gig Nano for $99/$149 respectively, but want to know if there are other players I should consider? Older Nanos off Head-Fi or eBay? Other?

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonink2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am shopping for same budget because my wife has fallen in love with the iPod I bought for me but told her would be hers (it gets weird, but I had to do that get away with another purchase). Now I just need a Nano to augment "her" 30gig 5G so I can use my Grados or Shures/MisterX XP amp via dock.

I need the following requirements: Uses same docking element as 5G (to share amp and IC); great SQ; syncs with iTunes; has lots of available accessories.

I am headed toward a refurbished 2 or 4 gig Nano for $99/$149 respectively, but want to know if there are other players I should consider? Older Nanos off Head-Fi or eBay? Other?

Meizu M6?

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Meizu looks good. Now I get to go investigate that. Thanks for the suggestion. Not really a price advantage over acknowledged solid product like iPod, so it hopefully will have some design or functional elements that set it apart. Great suggestion.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonink2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meizu looks good. Now I get to go investigate that. Thanks for the suggestion. Not really a price advantage over acknowledged solid product like iPod, so it hopefully will have some design or functional elements that set it apart. Great suggestion.

you can buy it online @ walgreens btw.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 12
there are some Rio MP3 players made for sporting that are pretty rugged. i don't have any names, but they're REALLY cheap on ebay, good quality and don't break easy. except if you push the screen. learned that the hard way while i was cleaning...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back