Which MP3 hard disk player?
Oct 16, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #33 of 42
Well if you never need the recording feature or will never hook it up to your stereo or an amp, you should go with the Riot in my opinion if the money is important (and of course there is really no one for whom the money is important)

For me it's worth spending the extra $100. You do have the firewire option in case you add a card or change computers; you can record directly with the player into wave or mp3 files; and you have two line outs to hook it up to a surround sound receiver, or a portable amp (which will enhance the sound greatly). Plus you have a removeable battery, and it sounds like it wouldn't be a big of a hassle to upgrade the hard drive. And you can add another battery to double your time (up to 22 hours I believe) before recharging.

For me it was the better deal.

Oct 16, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
Don't see much discussion about Riot. Is it no good?

I'm almost set on buying a Nomad Jukebox 3 (based on the information I found on this thread. However, I just found out that Rio Riot costs $100 less for the same capacity (20GB). Do you think Nomad is worth so much higher price (close to 50% more expensive)

Sound quality is the most important to me. Ease of use is secondary. Battery life and size is not so important. And I only have USB.

Your commends will be appreciated. Thank you.

The $100 difference will be made up the first time you have to replace the battery. Unless you get it from someplace with a replacement warranty, then you will have to reload all your data.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #35 of 42
Damn, I was thinking that the Rio sounded like a good bet to get...too bad it doesn't have a lineout
frown.gif

I guess I could could get the Nomad III...that has a lineout right? Nah, I'll probably just go with getting a new PCDP. Cheaper and better sound quality. Probably not cheaper in the long run since I'll have to start buying CDs (no more burning MP3s) if I want the best quality with whatever new phones I decide to get.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #36 of 42
Sound quality of NJB3 is better than most PCDPs. It's outstanding.

And carrying around a set of CD's is begging to have them stolen or damaged.

Unless you buy a cd burner to make copies.

There is also minidisc.

There is also the Treo 15. Refurbished 10mb for $120, New at Compusa a week or so ago for 15mb.... $159.95.

The Treo sounds good, better than most PCDP again, but does not have line out.

Oct 19, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
Sound quality of NJB3 is better than most PCDPs. It's outstanding.

And carrying around a set of CD's is begging to have them stolen or damaged.

Unless you buy a cd burner to make copies.

There is also minidisc.

Yes, but is the sound quality of MP3s better than that of CDs? Either way, with an MP3, minidisc, or CD player, I'm going to need to expand my CD collection if I want good quality. Hmm...still, the NJB3 is tempting, but it's so much more expensive, which is why I'm leaning toward a new PCDP. That way I can get good phones and an amp as well.

Oct 19, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #38 of 42
It all really depend on your situation. If you're out all day and don't want to bring the cd's with you, an mp3 jukebox to me is the way to go.
Personally I listen to mp3's as a matter of convenience, rather than geting a beter sound than a cd player. With whatever source you use, IMO you're going to need better phones and an amp with either the NJB3 or a PCDP.
Maybe a PCDP is the way to go.

Oct 19, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #39 of 42
I have and use a Nomad Jukebox 3. Everyone makes a big deal over how nonportable it is over the iPod, but I manage just fine. The NJB3 fits fine in my pocket and is not as heavy as the iPod. The quality is amazing, I noticed no clicking or any other noise that I have heard in other mp3 players. Then you have to add the EAX effects and the 4 channel output. The battery life is great at 11 hours. There is also the possibiliy of a 2nd battery expansion giving you twice the battery life. IR remotes can also be used with the unit, codes can be found here http://www.nomadness.net/modules.php...=getit&lid=157

Anyway, I love using my NJB3.

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #40 of 42
Don't mix past archos failure fables and jukebox recorder 20. Now it's much better. About archos noise and hiss: it's a firmware issue. The Rockbox open source firmware sounds much, much better http://rockbox.haxx.se/. With my pair of sennheiser mx-500 is high quality sound. Better than creative. I don't know about iPod.

About aesthetics, yes can be better. But the blue bumpers over the corners... Ah, ugly, yes, but they are true lifesavers. Try to drop your iPod over concrete rebounding down the street... My archos is still alive and well, thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #41 of 42
I have a riot and love it. I have done several head-to-hrad comparisons with ipods and the riot sounds much more natural and musical.

It does not have a line out, but the headphone out is dead quiet with my cosmic.

I borrowed my friends new Archos with the 3rd party firmware and although it was small, the interface and the sound quatlity were awful.

Rio does have a problem with their customer support, but they make all the firmware updates (needed) available in their site.

I use it in my office system every day and think that it is awesome.

Nov 2, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #42 of 42
Well I do have to disagree with that. I've heard the Riot and in my opinion it does sound better than the Archos, but not that much better. And the Riot's interface is a nightmare in it's own to me. But if it works for you good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back