Which MP# player has the quickest scrolling through menus?
Jan 25, 2005 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
I only have used an 4G iPod which I have now and I love the wheel. It is so quick to search through 100s of albums. I can get from the top to bottom of 280 albums in like 2 seconds. Are there other players that are quick like this, or for navigation is iPod king? I was considering switching to something else like the iRiver H320 but I am not willing to give up the ability to scroll through albums so quickly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gregg

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 23
Well, stay away from the iRiver players if you want something with scrolling speed comparable to the iPod. I believe the Rio Karma can get through lists fast simply by flicking the scroll wheel thing.

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 23
the finish on the 3G iPod scrollwheel makes it even easier to browse through songs and albums. IMO, the clickwheel doesnt have the "smooth" feel of the 3G. i'm not saying the clickwheel is bad, i just find the touchwheel better to the touch.

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 23
Good to know the iRiver is slow. That eleiminates that from my book. Also I hear the Sony is really slow as well. I would think this feauture would be so important to the makers of players. I mean who wants to spend 20 seconds scrolling to the bottom of their list?

I will check out some reviews of the Karma.

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 23
Damn the Karma does not have a line out feauture except on the dock. It seems that iPod is still the best for my needs (e.g., excellent interface and line out).

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

I would think this feauture would be so important to the makers of players. I mean who wants to spend 20 seconds scrolling to the bottom of their list?

You can get around it on the iRiver's by using file tree browsing. It's practically the only way.

Also, doesn't the iPod require a dock/pocket dock for line-out?

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super King
You can get around it on the iRiver's by using file tree browsing. It's practically the only way.

Also, doesn't the iPod require a dock/pocket dock for line-out?

Can you explain the file/tree browsing to me a bit? Yes the iPod requires an adapter for line out, which increases it overall length by an inch. But I can live with that.

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 23
Stay away from the Rio Caron then.

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
the finish on the 3G iPod scrollwheel makes it even easier to browse through songs and albums. IMO, the clickwheel doesnt have the "smooth" feel of the 3G. i'm not saying the clickwheel is bad, i just find the touchwheel better to the touch.

i might be wrong because I havent compared the two together, but I have a 4g with click sound off isnt wheel essentially the same as a 3g wheel? well, except that you have to press it for play etc.

/thread quick scrolling is also pretty important to me, I think iPod is fine but I've been wanting to switch to rio karma for gapless or something else in the future for video, but scrolling is a very important subjective criteria imho

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
Can you explain the file/tree browsing to me a bit? Yes the iPod requires an adapter for line out, which increases it overall length by an inch. But I can live with that.

Basically you browse your music by how the folders look on your PC/Mac, rather than by Album, Artist, Genre, ID3 tags, so you can pretty much organize how you want. I have an iRiver iHP-120, and I've setup my folders so that my music collection goes like this: Genre/Artist/Album/.

This way instead of scrolling through 200 or so Artists, I just pick a Genre folder, and have to scroll through maybe 15-20. I remember timing it before, it takes like a minute and a half to scroll through 200 items on my iRiver, so this way works much more efficiently.

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
i might be wrong because I havent compared the two together, but I have a 4g with click sound off isnt wheel essentially the same as a 3g wheel? well, except that you have to press it for play etc.

/thread quick scrolling is also pretty important to me, I think iPod is fine but I've been wanting to switch to rio karma for gapless or something else in the future for video, but scrolling is a very important subjective criteria imho

the touchwheel on the 3G is done with a matte finish. the clickwheel on the 4G is just the wheel itself. try to find a 3G from a friend or something and you'll know what i mean. IMO, the 3G touchwheel is much more sensitive than the clickwheels, which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super King
Basically you browse your music by how the folders look on your PC/Mac, rather than by Album, Artist, Genre, ID3 tags, so you can pretty much organize how you want. I have an iRiver iHP-120, and I've setup my folders so that my music collection goes like this: Genre/Artist/Album/.

This way instead of scrolling through 200 or so Artists, I just pick a Genre folder, and have to scroll through maybe 15-20. I remember timing it before, it takes like a minute and a half to scroll through 200 items on my iRiver, so this way works much more efficiently.

Thanks superking. That's good to know.

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 23
you can scroll through the menus extremely quickly on the zen micro, though it isnt as smooth as the ipod. One motion from the bottom to the top of the touchstrip moves about 8 or so songs, but if you hold your finger at the top or the bottom of the strip, it flies through the menu very quickly. I just went through 288 albums in about 6 seconds. So that's not as fast as the ipod, but it's probably one of the fastest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back