Which MG Head is best buy?
Feb 25, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 23
Oohhh... haven't been here in a while. New ASL amps huh? I might be interested in buying the MkII in a couple months. I've enjoyed the OTL version for quite a while now... even though lately, I've been listening to mp3s from a SB Live card w/Sony V6's. What am I doing!?

Feb 26, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by jerikl
Oohhh... haven't been here in a while. New ASL amps huh? I might be interested in buying the MkII in a couple months. I've enjoyed the OTL version for quite a while now... even though lately, I've been listening to mp3s from a SB Live card w/Sony V6's. What am I doing!?

I don't think you want upgrade if MG-Head OTL don't have problem ! Mark II is only should the problem on Hum & Balance problem on MG-Head OTL ! I had not change the circuit and parts.

Feb 28, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

I'm assuming that you are considering the original OTL to be purchased used, as the price differece between these two units new is not enough to cover the cost of tubes. I have not heard the MKII, but the NOS tubes in my OTL made such a HUGE difference in sound that I would guess that MKII might need a similar tube upgrade to sound as good. If funds are tight enough that you can only go with OTL & NOS tubes or MKII with stock tubes, I think the OTL with tubes will be the way to go. Try to find a Head-Fi meet where you can hear the difference for yourself. You won't be disappointed with the tuberolled OTL, but the stock MKII might not be as good.

Kent: Yes, I did buy the last version MG Head OTL but it is a brand new unit. It cost me only $290 delivered. I also bought a pair of JJ EL84s and all of Nick's 5751s. Total cost $368 delivered.

I opted for this because I'd previously owned a Head and was very happy with its' performance once I did the wire twisty mod and replaced the tubes with better ones.

Anyway, I've been on a business trip for the last week, and am now headed off to Mardi Gras, so I guess I can't report back on the unit until sometime next week....

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and help!

Feb 28, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 23
Did you get your Head yet Merc? I'm still enjoying the one you sold me. Works great, sounds great, and it's neat having a "low-tech" tube amp next to a "high-tech" computer.
smily_headphones1.gif

KJP

Feb 28, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Did you get your Head yet Merc?

Kevin: yes. It is sitting here next to my desk, unopened... I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. And, I won't get a chance till next week to do so... Anyway, I can't wait to get back into joining you and others with enjoying my new MG Head!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by merc
Since I have not heard the new MG Head OTL Mk2 amp, and have not found a review of this amp anywhere, I need some expert advice from you folks.

Which one of these two choices would sound best?

A: New MG Head OTL MkII amp
OR
B: New MG Head OTL Amp(last version) plus two JJ EL84 tubes and a nice 5751(Sylvania JHS)

Assuming both of these options cost the same, which one would you buy and why?

Thanks for your timely help!

Haven't heard the OTL MkII, but Joe mentioned earlier that besides the outboard power supply, the MkII also has paper-in-oil couping caps and a shunted pot; I'd go that one...

- Wasif.

Feb 28, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #22 of 23
Hey Joe...

What would be the possibility of purchasing the outboard power supply for the MKII seperatly for modding existing OTL's? If you would sell them, any idea on a price?

Thanks!
Mahkook
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back