Which MG Head is best buy?
Feb 9, 2003 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

merc

100+ Head-Fier
Since I have not heard the new MG Head OTL Mk2 amp, and have not found a review of this amp anywhere, I need some expert advice from you folks.

Which one of these two choices would sound best?

A: New MG Head OTL MkII amp
OR
B: New MG Head OTL Amp(last version) plus two JJ EL84 tubes and a nice 5751(Sylvania JHS)

Assuming both of these options cost the same, which one would you buy and why?

Thanks for your timely help!

Feb 9, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 23
I owned both a MG head and MG head OTL,and I got a chance to listen to the MG Head MarkII at CES.When I took the pics and had a chance to talk to Joe he assured me that the new MarkII is a big step forward.My impressions fully confirm this.I listened to it for about twenty minutes and it sounded much better than any MG head I have ever heard.I had three MG heads at one time,all of them were modded with tuberolling and one had been extensively modded with power supply and volume control mods.It still did not sound as "clean" as the MarkII.It seems that all the MarkII version of ASL amps have been upgraded with outboard power supplies.This has done wonders for the overall sonics of all the amps so updated.When you consider the small price increase,I think the MarkII is as big a bargian as ever.

Feb 9, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks Tuberoller!

I guess I've got to get a Mk2. I was wondering because I can buy a new OTL for $60 less than a MkII, and $60 can buy some fine tubes...
wink.gif

Thanks again for the info on the MkII.

Feb 10, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by AndrewB
Tuberoller,

How well does the MG head OTL 'work' with the Grado sr-80???

I'm not tuberoller, but I'll try to answer your question.
wink.gif

The original MG Head was not designed to work with low impedance headphones. The Grados SR-80s do not sound very good with the mg head. However, the new MG head 32 WAS designed with low impedance headphones in mind. As a result, grados should work well with it(though I don't think many have tried the new 32 yet).

Feb 10, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I'm not tuberoller, but I'll try to answer your question.
wink.gif

The original MG Head was not designed to work with low impedance headphones. The Grados SR-80s do not sound very good with the mg head. However, the new MG head 32 WAS designed with low impedance headphones in mind. As a result, grados should work well with it(though I don't think many have tried the new 32 yet).

That's the MG OTL 32, the MG Head OTL MKII is different, I would imagine that it probably still is lackluster with low impedance cans because Joe hasn't changed the operation of the amp.

Feb 10, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
That's the MG OTL 32, the MG Head OTL MKII is different, I would imagine that it probably still is lackluster with low impedance cans because Joe hasn't changed the operation of the amp.

Yes ! You are correct. I had not change main design of MG-Head OTL Mark II to keep it same kind of sound as old.

It still can possible to drive low impedance can in better damping by parallel a 32 Ohm 1/2W to 1W resistor. You can buy a Headphone Jack and solder resistor on it and plug in 1 Jack. I had try it with Grado SR125 with better damping but little less bass.(Just a little , I think it is acceptable.)

Feb 10, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 23
The MG Head OTL32 is a different animal than the OTL MKII. MKII will cost around $20 more than current OTL, while OTL32 should be $500, or $600 with a remote. OTL32 has multiple inputs and more tubes. I have no idea whether tube rolling would be required to get the most out of the "32." If so it could get expensive. This is all based on what I have read heare on different posts. There are reviews of the OTL32, comparing it to the Twin Head, so I would expect it to be significantly better than the OTL or OTL MKII. Plus it is designed to be able to drive low impedence cans as well. I think the remote is a great idea for when you need to adjust volume after you're all comfy and can't reach the amp (boy am I ever getting lazy in my old age).

BTW, I did drive Grado RS-1's with my MG Head OTL for a short while. It did sound good, but distortion set in rather quickly as the volume went up. I'm no electronics wiz but this is probably what happens with impedence mismatch.

Feb 10, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 23
When I first got my MG Head OTL, I tried the Grado SR80 on the Trans socket & immediately didn't like it due to the harsh & grainy sound.

It was not until recently I gave it another try with my Modded RS-1 with the Senn HD414 replacement earpads. It sounded quite good actually. The difference, beside the headphones obviously, is the lower gain center tubes that I used. IIRC, with the SR80 I was using the stock 12AX7 & EL84. Presently I'm using the Sylvania 5751 & Ei Yugo. It's also quite possible that I like to listen at low to moderate volume & never loud. Worth to try with the 12AU7s too. Maybe for tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Which one of these two choices would sound best?

A: New MG Head OTL MkII amp
OR
B: New MG Head OTL Amp(last version) plus two JJ EL84 tubes and a nice 5751(Sylvania JHS)

How about C: New MG Head OTL MkII amp plus two JJ EL84 tubes and a nice 5751!
smily_headphones1.gif
You might as well go all the way!

Feb 10, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 23
I'm assuming that you are considering the original OTL to be purchased used, as the price differece between these two units new is not enough to cover the cost of tubes. I have not heard the MKII, but the NOS tubes in my OTL made such a HUGE difference in sound that I would guess that MKII might need a similar tube upgrade to sound as good. If funds are tight enough that you can only go with OTL & NOS tubes or MKII with stock tubes, I think the OTL with tubes will be the way to go. Try to find a Head-Fi meet where you can hear the difference for yourself. You won't be disappointed with the tuberolled OTL, but the stock MKII might not be as good.

Feb 25, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 23
I should have a MG Head OTL MKII, here by weeks end. I will try Joe's suggestion with the modded jack/resistor. Plus I should have some 'quality time' to spend with the MG over the next two weeks. then a review?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back