Which MD's are among the best?
Jun 2, 2002 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mulciber

Head-Fier
I think another reason that MD players focused on sound quality more than CD players (in the US at least - I spend a lot of time in Japan and the market's quite different there) is that there isn't much original source material sold on MD here (hardly any). That makes it harder to compete with PCD. Anything you listen to on MD is going to be pulled from another source, and the mass market doesn't have the patience for that.

That said, a good PCDP with a good portable amp (I use a
(*fantastic*) JMT-built CHA47 ) really is competitive with anything. An outboard amp totally levels the playing field.

My question's in the subject line: I'm still using my old Sony MZ-R50 and it's still great. But if I were to upgrade these days, where might I look and what might I look for? I don't download much music, so that's not the issue. It's more a matter of making collections and sharing with friends and so forth.

Thanks, DGI

Jun 2, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 32
the r50 recorder is a real great one...i would hold on to that if i were you....

I guess if you were going for a recorder today you would probably go for the high end sony, like the 900 and 909, since they each have 8 step treble and bass equalizers. thats the only real big feature that makes those ones stick out from the others.

Jun 2, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 32
If you're going to be using an external amp, don't bother buying a new MD player/recorder (unless you want MDLP). Your MZ-R50 has a dedicated line-out, and is built like a tank.

Jun 2, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Your MZ-R50 has a dedicated line-out, and is built like a tank.

In addition to the audio quality (even right out of the headphone out) that is one of the features I like best about it. It's extraordinarily solid and well-designed.

Thanks for the info.

DGI

Jun 2, 2002 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 32
Actually, consider picking up a Sony NZ-N505 for its ATRAC Type R encoder to complement your R50. Then you're all set.
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 32
I would hang on to your R50, it is an absolute classic. If I can find a new one of these, I'd buy it without any hesitiation!

And what Vertigo-1 suggested, buying an R501, is not a bad idea at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 32
Or you could get a deck with Type R _and_ keyboard titling capability!

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

And what Vertigo-1 suggested, buying an R501, is not a bad idea at all.

That's an interesting thought. If anyone's interested, I did a quick price check on this unit and found it from a place I've done business with before. They buy other companies' inventories when they go out of business, and prices are very low. They have this model for $109, which seems to be about $20~30 less than anywhere else.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/7-24outl...minwalmzp.html

DGI

Jun 2, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Or you could get a deck with Type R _and_ keyboard titling capability!

All i have to say is: Sony MXD-D5C

I have this deck and it kicks ass! Type R encoding and keyboard titling..here's a link:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/homethea...ge/mxdd5c.html

Enjoy!

Jun 2, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 32
Yeah, R 50 is a great old school machine, but there are drawbacks.
First the quality of the recordings is inferior to type R, and second the battery life is way too short.
It all depends on your purpose. If you're not gonna use it for more than couple of hours per day, than the short play time on a charge will not bother you.

Jun 2, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 32
If not, there's really no reason to upgrade from the erstwhile MZ-R50.

As mentioned, the high-end MD recorders have those sweet bass/treble controls, plus a few other goodies, but that's about all you're currently missing. Of course, it's *nice* to go over 20 hours of playing time before a recharge.

MDLP modes do have their uses. For a lot of voice stuff, LP4 seems perfect. I have a couple discs recorded on LP2 (namely a few double-CD's that would not fit in SP mode) and the sound is quite remarkable, probably as good as some of the older ATRAC versions can yield in SP mode.

I guess all new units have MDLP, so it comes as a bonus.

Jun 3, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 32
*cough*batterylife*cough*

that's why you should upgrade.

oh, and *cough*smallenoughtoputitinyourpocket*cough*

take a bow, mzr900.

one note -- i have the 900, and was checking out the 909s when they came out in tokyo, and they seemed a bit flimsier than the 900. does anyone else find that? i thought i wanted to get the new one, but when i held it i quickly changed my mind.

the 900 is pretty damned solid.

Jun 3, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by lucien
*cough*batterylife*cough*
oh, and *cough*smallenoughtoputitinyourpocket*cough*

one note -- i have the 900, and was checking out the 909s when they came out in tokyo, and they seemed a bit flimsier than the 900. does anyone else find that? i thought i wanted to get the new one, but when i held it i quickly changed my mind.

the 900 is pretty damned solid.

Haven't felt the weight of the R909 but the R900 feels *way* heavier than the N1. The N1 when empty is like an egg shell - I wonder if it's as fragile. I sold my R50 to get the R90. It might not be as robust but being smaller it is more portable - and I've found I use it much more.

Neb

Jun 5, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by lucien
one note -- i have the 900, and was checking out the 909s when they came out in tokyo, and they seemed a bit flimsier than the 900.

Thing is, the 909 has been discontinued and replaced by the 910. Here's the link:

MZ-R910

Joint text isn't supported but the battery life is longer than the 909's or the 900's.

Maybe we'll see some wild-ass 909 discounts in the coming months.

(Sorry to have lowered the level of discourse, Mr. Lucien, but I do so enjoy using robust compound adjectives like wild-ass.)

Besides, aren't we leaving out a behind-load of newer models? The MZ-N1 seems fairly ****-darned sturdy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back