Which Marshmallow replacement tips?
Feb 15, 2007 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

UezeU

100+ Head-Fier
I can't stand the stock Marshmallow tip. What is the best brand tips to replace them with. I've heard the Shure and UE tips work well in other posts. Anyone have experience with different tips for comfort and seal? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 30
If you can save me the time I'd spend on researching: what's the best place to buy JVC Marshmallow in-ears online. And reading about all these mods for Marshmallows and how Shure's foam sleeves are the best solution do you think I should order those right away? The thing is, I live in Croatia, Europe and I'm going to order everything from the states through a friend so I think it would be better to order everything together right away.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 30
Hmm... the ones I bought from eBay were more orange... (model PA I believe) But, to me I think they sound fine, especially with the foam mod.

Is there a difference between the yellow ones and the orange ones, besides the hole size?

Actually, the foams I bought were made for the E2. Do I need the foam made for the E4/5/3/1?

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 30
The FX33 minus tubing will accept E2 sleeves, but not E3/E4/etc sleeves; they're too skinny.
I use the grey soft flex small sleeves and I think they're great for everyday use, but I might need a little more isolation on the plane with black foamies.
I have yet to try out the black foams.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The FX33 minus tubing will accept E2 sleeves, but not E3/E4/etc sleeves; they're too skinny.
I use the grey soft flex small sleeves and I think they're great for everyday use, but I might need a little more isolation on the plane with black foamies.
I have yet to try out the black foams.

Will this work on Marshmallows? Shure EA210S for Shure E2c, E2g, E2c-n

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes any of the shure yellow foam tips you see at best buy will work

No, the yellow tips are for the E3, E4, E5 and E500. They will NOT work with the marshmallows.

The E2 series will fit. Yes radiokid-A, those will will perfectly.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the yellow tips are for the E3, E4, E5 and E500. They will NOT work with the marshmallows.

The E2 series will fit. Yes radiokid-A, those will will perfectly.

Yes, they will fit but it does take a bit of work to stretch them over the fat tubes. I had the yellow E3/4/5 foamies on my 'mallows until I recently switched to the new Shure black foamies, which are also designed for the E3/4/5's.

I posted pix and how I did it on the big thread about black foamies. Here's a pic comparing them with stock tips.

marshmallows.jpg

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes any of the shure yellow foam tips you see at best buy will work

No they wont. Trust me, they wouldn't fit on my IM716s, no way in hell are they gonna fit on the FX33s. I think you mean the orange e2c replacement tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they wont. Trust me, they wouldn't fit on my IM716s, no way in hell are they gonna fit on the FX33s. I think you mean the orange e2c replacement tips
smily_headphones1.gif

As I stated in my post directly before yours, yes, the yellow E3/4/5 foamies will fit. It's not ideal, but it'll work. I posted my procedure here on page 7, post #128, but I'm sure other methods will work, too.

Here's a pic of the yellow foamies on Marshmallows. I just put them on a few minutes ago so they're not perfect. They're my daughter's 'phones so I just threw them on for the pic and now I'll switch them back to the stock tips, which she prefers.

marshmallow.jpg

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I stated in my post directly before yours, yes, the yellow E3/4/5 foamies will fit. It's not ideal, but it'll work. I posted my procedure here on page 7, post #128, but I'm sure other methods will work, too.

Here's a pic of the yellow foamies on Marshmallows. I just put them on a few minutes ago so they're not perfect. They're my daughter's 'phones so I just threw them on for the pic and now I'll switch them back to the stock tips, which she prefers.

marshmallow.jpg

You know that the tubing of the FX33's aren't that thick and there's a chance that all the pressure will make it crack?

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the yellow E3/4/5 foamies on my 'mallows until I recently switched to the new Shure black foamies, which are also designed for the E3/4/5's.

1) How hard is it to get the black foamies on?
2) What size is that?
3) How are they?

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know that the tubing of the FX33's aren't that thick and there's a chance that all the pressure will make it crack?

Umm...ok. I guess that's not that big of a concern for me. It's not like I'm putting them in a vice or anything. As a side note, I've also installed the black foamies on my JBL Reference 220's, which also have a huge soundtube. No problems so far but I guess I'll let everyone know if they spontaneously collapse on me.

Fungi-1) The black foamies seemed to go on easier than the yellow. Not really sure why. Maybe the black foam is softer or maybe Shure changed their inner tube material. Dunno. No problems with my method, though. Only took about 5 minutes to do the pair. The biggest push was getting them onto the awl to stretch the tube and that wasn't too bad.

2) They're medium black foamies.

3) So far, so good. I don't really notice a huge difference between them and the yellows I had on before but I haven't had them very long yet. They're kind of rubbery feeling so they grab my ear canals better so I can adjust how far I insert them. I'm hoping they'll last quite awhile, too.

edit to add:

If you're looking at the yellow/orange foamies, definitely get the orange E2's if possible. They have a larger tube, which will make them much easier to install. I happened to get the yellow E3/4/5 foamies from my local Guitar Center so I just made do with what I got. And since they worked ok I didn't think I'd have any problems with the new black foamies, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back