Which low end amp for me?
Jan 22, 2006 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Medikit

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at the Headroom little and the Firesone iCute Beyond. Each are about in the same price range. This would be my first amp for use with the emu 0404. Right now I own Shure E4s and I plan to pick up a bt880 when I have some more cash in the summer.
Now, my girlfriend is from Taiwan but I'm trying not to let that sway the decision.

Any advice?

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm not 100% certain just what price range you're looking at (I'm not very familiar with those older amps you mentioned); I saw the price given on HeadRoom for the Little were a little less than $300US, so I'd guess that your price range is somewhere between 150-300? Popular recomendations in this range include: Portaphile V2, Pimeta, and HeadRoom Micro Amp.

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eboomer
I'm not 100% certain just what price range you're looking at (I'm not very familiar with those older amps you mentioned); I saw the price given on HeadRoom for the Little were a little less than $300US, so I'd guess that your price range is somewhere between 150-300? Popular recomendations in this range include: Portaphile V2, Pimeta, and HeadRoom Micro Amp.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. My price range is 150-230 with some flex. All of the amps you've mentioned are portable, I'm looking for a cheap desktop amp.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
With a little flex you might be able to pick up a Gilmore Lite in the forums.

My main worry for the gilmore is that it doesn't appear to have a setting to drive lower impedance headphones.

Jan 22, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 12
There are plenty of Grade + Gilmore Lite users here, so I wouldn't be worried about low impedance problems. Actually from what I've read, the Lite was actually voiced on Grado headphones, although it loves my Senn's more
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Not sure what you are referring to with the 'little' but it was discontinued a year ago. Unless you are thinking used.

Used, also they still sell discontinued amps.

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
I'm looking at the Headroom little and the Firesone iCute Beyond. Each are about in the same price range. This would be my first amp for use with the emu 0404. Right now I own Shure E4s and I plan to pick up a bt880 when I have some more cash in the summer.
Now, my girlfriend is from Taiwan but I'm trying not to let that sway the decision.

Any advice?

Don't let the fact that you girlfriend is from Taiwan PREVENT you from getting the Firestone amp!
tongue.gif
. From what I heard it is quite a bargain at its price.

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
Don't let the fact that you girlfriend is from Taiwan PREVENT you from getting the Firestone amp!
tongue.gif
. From what I heard it is quite a bargain at its price.

It does seem like a really good deal, there just aren't that many reviews on it here. It's too bad I didn't know about it when she was in Taipei, I could saved nearly $50 on it.

As it is though I think I'll go with a used gilmore or a used little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back