Which laptop (and soundcard?) to buy
Mar 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #16 of 34
ok great...i'm definitely gonna get this computer as it is quite the bargain.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to direct me to a laptop thats best suited for me.
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by socalguy124 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok great...i'm definitely gonna get this computer as it is quite the bargain.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to direct me to a laptop thats best suited for me.
beerchug.gif

Heh, of course. If you have any problems setting it up or some such non-sense, just PM me, and I'd be happy to help. It's what I do. <_<

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #18 of 34
Alrighty sounds good.

To go a little off topic, I read somewhere that you could upgrade your mp3 files into a better quality format. This is something to go over for another day if possible...I've got hundreds of mp3 songs and I was wondering if theres some simple sets one could take to upgrade the quality.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Alrighty sounds good.

To go a little off topic, I read somewhere that you could upgrade your mp3 files into a better quality format. This is something to go over for another day if possible...I've got hundreds of mp3 songs and I was wondering if theres some simple sets one could take to upgrade the quality.

Nope, you can't really take an MP3 and make it better. You've just gotta rip things to a lossless format in the first place.

What you CAN do though is find DSPs (Digital Sound/Signal Processors) that you can add to your favorite media player to improve quality to your ears. Being that you have MP3s in the first place, I would guess that you aren't really a musical purist, so it might be something to look into. (Crossfeed for headphones, EQ for headphones/speakers, etc.)

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #20 of 34
yeah aside from the MP3s, I'm relatively new to all of this.

So to pick your brain once again, how would I go about finding a DSP...and which media player do you think is best suited for this?

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

yeah aside from the MP3s, I'm relatively new to all of this.

So to pick your brain once again, how would I go about finding a DSP...and which media player do you think is best suited for this?

For media players... There are a few choices. The most common being Foobar 2000 and J.River Media Center. It depends on what you're looking for. J.River Media Center is very full featured and would be a nice choice, but you would have to eventually buy it. Foobar is modular and quite neat, but a bit of a pain to setup the way you want it.

DSPs are sometimes included, and other times, you have to just search the forums here. I personally don't use any DSPs except for a resampler to take my music to 24/88.2 from 16/44.1, so I'm not the best to ask about it. I've heard some people really like Crossfeed DSPs as they add a bit more separation to the music.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #23 of 34
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #24 of 34
I will never buy HP after they failed to acknowledge the problem they have with the DV series and the nVidia graphics board (wrong solder used and video or heavy processing causes short and PC shuts off) they wanted me to pay $355USD just to look at it when it was a manufacturing problem. I have made it my goal to steer as many people away from HP/Compac as I can. they failed and couldn't man up and admit it. for what you want look into a Toshiba or a Leveno many deals can be found on both, and if you do not need it for anything that is heavy on the processor ie; video editing and games you can go with a Dell and if you want to go a little higher end the look in to the Asus or Alienware (Dell is doing them now) and the will rock your world a true desktop replacement.

Or if you don't mind learning something new then go for a Macbook.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #25 of 34
Did you really just recommend Dell over HP?

lol.

(As a note to the OP, the model he is mentioning is the DV2000/6000/9000, not the DV6t that I recommended you buy. It was a known issue, and they refused to acknowledge it for a long time. Now they offer free repairs if a BIOS update doesn't fix the issue. This is a guess, but I assume it to be correct, as there was a big blow up over it.

More info here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1842155 )

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 34
yep seen that but it is only a partial list for the products affected and that is 1 of my biggest gripes many other models have the same problem but they will only fix some of them, makes me wonder if the models they will fix sold less then the others involved. and YES I am so sour over HP that I will and do recommend Dell over HP. I have been repairing PC's for close to 15 years and understand why you would question recommending Dell's but the 1 thing that you will not have a problem with is repair service on a Dell, if it breaks they will fix it, if you break it you pay if they broke it they pay. and I would rather see the OP stay away from both and save a little more and go with an Asus, Leveno or even the Alienware. When it comes to laptops it truly is you get what you pay for because to upgrade anything but the HDD or memory is a royal PITA. so to spend $1500 today and have something to last 4-5 years is worth more the 4 $700 over 5 years

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3adeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep seen that but it is only a partial list for the products affected and that is 1 of my biggest gripes many other models have the same problem but they will only fix some of them, makes me wonder if the models they will fix sold less then the others involved. and YES I am so sour over HP that I will and do recommend Dell over HP. I have been repairing PC's for close to 15 years and understand why you would question recommending Dell's but the 1 thing that you will not have a problem with is repair service on a Dell, if it breaks they will fix it, if you break it you pay if they broke it they pay. and I would rather see the OP stay away from both and save a little more and go with an Asus, Leveno or even the Alienware. When it comes to laptops it truly is you get what you pay for because to upgrade anything but the HDD or memory is a royal PITA. so to spend $1500 today and have something to last 4-5 years is worth more the 4 $700 over 5 years

I've been repairing PCs for 10 years aswell, and Dell has some of the worst support, and most proprietary systems on the market, and has since they started selling computers. They have only recently STARTED to get better. That said, they're still worse than HP.

If you looked at my final recommendation, you'd see that it's an i5 with a real video card (If you can call low end Nvidia discrete cards real). It's futureproof for the next 7-10 years, because HE DOESN'T GAME OR DO ANYTHING INTENSIVE.

Find me a model that's not on that list, but more than 1% of the devices show issues. Just because you had one bad experience with them doesn't mean you should condemn the entire company. HP has usually been very very helpful for me; I can't think of a single time, of over 20 cases, where they haven't been willing to help, inside or outside the warranty.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #28 of 34
oh they will help you at a price! and a steep 1 , and I would never shun any company for 1 instance I have had several, with different product lines the only thing HP does right is printers and Dell has great CS not the same as it was when they were a young company but still good as far as the big names go, but I think we have offically hijacked this thread and should stop, and think we can agree on if he shops a little more and is willing to spend a few more bucks he can get a laptop to last him for years and do what he tells it to do.

so keep looking for the good deals they are out there, just be patient

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #29 of 34
LOL@ "mines better" "no mines better" "no no mines better"

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3adeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh they will help you at a price! and a steep 1 , and I would never shun any company for 1 instance I have had several, with different product lines the only thing HP does right is printers and Dell has great CS not the same as it was when they were a young company but still good as far as the big names go, but I think we have offically hijacked this thread and should stop, and think we can agree on if he shops a little more and is willing to spend a few more bucks he can get a laptop to last him for years and do what he tells it to do.

so keep looking for the good deals they are out there, just be patient

No, we don't really agree on it. <_< He's not a gamer, doesn't edit photos/movies, just listens to music and browses. Why would he need anything more powerful than an i5? He could use a 486 and probably be content, albeit it being slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back