Which LAME should I use?
Sep 18, 2005 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

buffpants24

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if my sound quality would increse if I ipped with the latest LAME encoder. Right now I am using 3.92, should I upgrade to 3.96.1 or 3.97b1?

Thanx

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 8
3.96.1 should be slightly improved overall and 3.97b1 has not only a new faster vbr-mode, but with some issues smoothened out. Then again, there are almost always bound to be a few samples that degrade, when you move to another version.

Your call.

Sep 18, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 8
This is one of those things where I think it is not a big deal, I upgrade LAME from time to time, but I highly doubt you will hear a big difference, also if you think an older version may be better than a newer one, then you will just have to ABX it to figure out which to use because people argue about it all the time.

Just use the latest version, or go lossless and it won't matter.

Sep 18, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 8
I believe the official recommended version is still 3.90.3 as it has been thoroughly tested. The 3.96.* release is supposed to be more effective in compression but hasn't been tested so intensively and there isn't so much objective (oops, a dirty word!) proof of its quality. The Lame developers expect a lot from the final 3.97 and based on the testing so far plan to make it the recommended version when it's released.

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 8
I always use:
--alt preset extreme

It is truly the balance between SQ and file size.
etysmile.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
I always use:
--alt preset extreme

It is truly the balance between SQ and file size.
etysmile.gif

--preset extreme was my default choice after doing heavy listening tests with 3.96.1 but with 3.97b1, --preset fast standard gets my vote for the best balance between sound and filesize. Going a higher bitrate gets to be more insignificant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back