Which kind of blue
Sep 11, 2005 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mariadoc

Head-Fier
Because i gave my 'Davis - Kind of Blue' CD away a while ago, i want to get a new one.
Confused by the number of editions there are (not to talk about SACD/DUALDISC-versions etc.), i did a search in this forum, but the only advise i found was to buy older versions. But while these are hard to find, i would like to know which of the newer versions is the best to buy.

At a local internetshop i can get
this special edition ('01) for $31:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

or this one ('97) for $10:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

Which of the above should i get, or when neither of them, which do you advise.

Sep 12, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 8
For two channel audio the majority of the sound improvement is going to be due to remastering... so the regular CD layer will sound just as good as the SACD layer.

See ya
Steve

Sep 13, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 8
That's the one I'm considering buying. Holding out for vinyl kind of. Actually I mainly just have so much Miles to listen to that I'm saving it, sort of a combination.

Just for the love of Jebus, DON'T get the first edition that came out on CD, no matter how cheap it is. It was mastered with the tape speed too high. Yes, you did read that correctly. Yes, the one that was the only edition I know of until a few years ago.

Sep 13, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Let me just through this in:

I have never once experienced a CD version of Kind of Blue that came even close to the vinyl version.

That is all.
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Let me just through this in:

I have never once experienced a CD version of Kind of Blue that came even close to the vinyl version.

That is all.
frown.gif

I agree. The link I posted above is the closest you can get to the vinyl sound. The great thing is that it is an SACD Hybrid and as I said before, the sound is fantastic.
icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 8
well... thanks for the advise, i orderded the SACD version.
But when looking for Coltrane's Blue Train again i found at least 5 different versions with all kind of prices.
If there are so many versions of these (very known) record it must be really hard to pick up the more obscure albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back