Which JukeBox, according to precis criteria
Jun 26, 2005 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

webzeb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody.

I’m looking for a portable jukebox, according to precis criteria. By order of importance :
  1. Sound quality : I use Etymotic Er6i. I'd like a low noise level, well balanced sound, good definition and correct power-out.
  2. Capacity : 20~30GB would be great, but I could also consider µHD players (4~6GB) which offer several advantages.
  3. Autonomy : >10H, more would be better.
  4. File Formats : I'm only interested by MP3, and possibly - but that's VERY secondary - FLAC. I never use OGG... (Obviously if it supports OGG, that's not a problem, but I may never use OGG...)
  5. Navigation : I prefer navigation by IDTag (that's the main problem of the Cowon's M3/X5 for me...). I'm not fan of tactile interface at all, and may prefer a roller.
  6. Playlist : I'd like to be able to create one - or more - playlist "on-the-fly".
  7. USB Host/On-The-Go : I practise photography, so I'd like to use my player as a portable storage device.
  8. Screen : Since I mostly use RAW file format for my photos, I'm not especially interested by a photo visualization feature (wich can only be used with Jpeg...).
  9. FM Radio : Very secondary...
  10. Dictaphone : Very Secondary

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 12
beside the bass drop whatever, i am really influences ipod has one of the most neutral sound now. maybe ipod photo 30gb. but i think you will have to buy the media reader to transfer photo as they wont be included. so that'll be about $400.

i remember able to transfer files into my ipod via pc, even though the drive doesnt show how much size and space it have left. but if i remember correct the drive wont be recognized unless you have the ipod driver installed.

Jun 26, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
beside the bass drop whatever, i am really influences ipod has one of the most neutral sound now. maybe ipod photo 30gb. but i think you will have to buy the media reader to transfer photo as they wont be included. so that'll be about $400.

i remember able to transfer files into my ipod via pc, even though the drive doesnt show how much size and space it have left. but if i remember correct the drive wont be recognized unless you have the ipod driver installed.

Is the iPod Photo USB Host/On-The-Go ?

The bass drop-off may be a great problem with the Etymotic Er6i, wich are 16Ohms, and may already lack a bit of bass...

Jun 26, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
from what ive heard and read the Iriver H10 is just what you need and you can get it in, 5,6,and 20 GB

In france - I'm French - only the 5GB version is available, and pretty expensive (official price is 299€ VAT...365$, which is huge for a 5GB player).

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 12
well then, id say the X5 from Cowon, or the zen micro is said to be one of the best sounding daps around.

do some research on the micro, that why head-fi is awesome non bias opinions etc.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
well then, id say the X5 from Cowon, or the zen micro is said to be one of the best sounding daps around.

do some research on the micro, that why head-fi is awesome non bias opinions etc.

Zen Micro 5GB is sold €209 VAT in France (~$255 VAT). 4 & 6GB version are not yet available...
Indeed it seems to be a great sounding player.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd just regret its poor autonomy (real autonomy - tested - is ~8H), "All-Touch" interface, and the lack of USB hosting (may be for the photo version, wich is coming soon ?)...
But I may consider seriously this solution.
wink.gif

Cowon X5 is a "Dream-Player" for me...except is lack of IDTag management ! Tree structure management on a 20~60GB player sound like an heresy for me...
But in fact the main problem is that this player is only sold in few shop in France, and is prices beats the highs : €391 VAT for the X5 20GB with remote/craddle...$477 ! (in a japanese shop who ship in Europe)
In most shops is sold fr about €450 VAT...$549 !

frown.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 12
Archos Gmini 400? The only thing it lacks is that it only has 10 hours playback for audio. The photo trasferring feature is better or worse depending on your situation, it has a compact flash slot, and can use an adaptor for other card types. This is much faster than usb host but not as flexible.

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 12
I second the Archos Gmini 400 - but then I'm biased towards it. Seriously, I use the ER-6is with it and together the sound IMHO is flawless. It is a very quiet player. I have to boost the bass a bit in the equalizer, but that's really not an issue. It's small, easily slips into a shirt pocket and comes standard with 20gig drive. I've had no problem whatsoever in over a year. The UI is not as polished as the iPod, but it's easy to use nonetheless. Occassionally, I leave it out overnight to charge it on the weekends(I travel), and my son will pick it up. The first time he did, he had the buttons figured out in about 3 minutes - and he's only 6! I gave him my older Archos Jukebox Studio 10 and he carries everywhere listening to his Disney tunes.

redjr...
280smile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 12
iRiver H120/320/140/340 sounds perfect. USB Host, both types of navigation, long battery life, and a pretty good amount of other features (Though they are secondary)

They're as expensive as a 20 gb iPod, actualy a little less if you browse to the right sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back