Which John Coltrane live recording to get?
Jun 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
I own a dozen John Coltrane albums but noticed that I don't have any live performances of the saxophonist. I am very interested in acquiring one or more live recordings by Coltrane but have no idea what to get.

For reference, I am more fond of Coltrane's earlier albums - particularly Lush Life (Prestige) and My Favorite Things (Atlantic). Despite its classic status, have never been overly fond of A Love Supreme ...

Any recommendations guys?

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 14
There's a lot of different phases in Coltrane.....

For a great live recording of his earlier style try the album Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall

However, his later style is more archived in live performance.....

There is a boxed set called The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, but before you get that, try Live at the Village Vanguard (The Master Takes), make sure its not Live At The Village Vanguard Again as it is not as good in my opinion.

Another stunning live release is Live At Birdland, and I know in the opinion of some jazz critics this could be considered the ideal Coltrane release.

Try those three recordings and if you need to know where to begin, start in the middle with the Vanguard one.

Enjoy

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 14
I already have the Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall CD but really consider it a Monk disc featuring Coltrane. Am really interested in getting the Live at Birdland set as I've read some good things about it. Probably want to get the Village Vanguard set as well sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got My Favorite Things: Coltrane At Newportfor $7.99 at Barnes & Noble. Very good recording.

x2 on this one: this is the CD that turned me on to Coltrane. It's fascinating to compare the earlier and later versions of the title track, and amazing what he can do with a rather hackneyed tune.

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on this one: this is the CD that turned me on to Coltrane. It's fascinating to compare the earlier and later versions of the title track, and amazing what he can do with a rather hackneyed tune.

Yup. First jazz CD I ever bought. I just got into jazz and I'm absolutely loving it.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a lot of different phases in Coltrane.....

For a great live recording of his earlier style try the album Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall

However, his later style is more archived in live performance.....

There is a boxed set called The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, but before you get that, try Live at the Village Vanguard (The Master Takes), make sure its not Live At The Village Vanguard Again as it is not as good in my opinion.

Another stunning live release is Live At Birdland, and I know in the opinion of some jazz critics this could be considered the ideal Coltrane release.

Try those three recordings and if you need to know where to begin, start in the middle with the Vanguard one.

Totally seconded…right as rain.

If you can't get enough, there's also a seven-CD box set of early '60s stuff called Live Trane: The European Tours…not everything on it is stunning, but there's a few different bands; some performances are out of this world.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 14
x3 on live at the Village Vanguard. The master takes is a good start but if you want to hear part of what made coltrane great (which was his soloing and improvisation) then the box set is unique in hearing different versions of the same song.

The box set also has the distinction of being exceptionally well mastered.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for all the friendly advice. Ended up buying 3 CDs :- Coltrane Live At Birdland, My Favorite Things : Coltrane At Newport and Coltrane "Live" At The Village Vanguard.

Will post some comments after I give them a few proper spins.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 14
Actually while I only acquired live albums with Coltrane as band leader, I do have a live bootleg of a concert by Miles Davis with John Coltrane (Kind of Blue era). Very nice.

milestrane.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back