Which is the better goal to pursue for listening to music: Open back with the best bass possible or closed back with the best soundstage possible?
Feb 15, 2017 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sloowhand

New Head-Fier
The eternal dilemma between open vs closed back. Open back will be able to provide a better soundstage but not provide as much bass, closed back can provide more bass but won't have as wide a soundstage. So in the quest to bridge the gap, which is the better route to pursue?

I currently have a set of AKG K712 Pros that are amazing for gaming and movies and provide an awesome soundstage for both. Love them for that, but I've found I don't necessarily love them for music. They're not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but when I listen to albums like Random Access Memories, I can tell there's sub-bass I'm just not getting and even mid-bass is...adequate but not notable.

I also have some Meze 99 Classics that I love that have healthy low end and surprising soundstage for closed back for the money, but not exactly like I'm sitting in a studio with the band. But for travel headphones and for music, which is what I got them to be, they are fantastic.

So now I'm looking for a third pair to be my at home music headphones. Because I won't be in public I won't have to worry about external sound intrusion (in or out) so open back works and I'd like to keep the price below $400. So the question is, as stated in the title, what is the best recommendation: Open back with the best bass possible or closed back with the best soundstage possible? I know I could spend $2000 for a set of LCD-3s and not have to choose, but for my price range, what would you recommend? Which headphones provide the best compromise of wide, airy soundstage with solid, full, competent mid- and sub-bass. I don't need them to be booming or super hard hitting bass-wise, but when listening to hip hop or EDM I'd like them to be able to confidently and competently reach down into those low frequency ranges and deliver fullness and quality bass.

EDIT: I'll be driving them with a Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber stack.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 7
What is your amp? There are some great open headphones without any sacrifices to bass as far as I'm concerned. The Beyerdynamic DT990 comes to mind. Incredible soundstage and beautiful bass. The 250 Ohm version is probably going to be a good match for a lot of amps and receivers but the 600 Ohm version can be good with OTL tube amps.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 7
  What is your amp? There are some great open headphones without any sacrifices to bass as far as I'm concerned. The Beyerdynamic DT990 comes to mind. Incredible soundstage and beautiful bass. The 250 Ohm version is probably going to be a good match for a lot of amps and receivers but the 600 Ohm version can be good with OTL tube amps.

I'll be driving them with a Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber stack

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 7

I'll be driving them with a Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber stack

IMO then you should go for open back with the best bass. As TwelveTrains said, try the dt990's they have some pretty good bass for openback headphones.
If you have amazon prime you could also try to just order a pair of openback with best possible bass and closed back with best possible soundstage and try and see what you like the most?

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 7
You could get the Philips Fidelio X2's which are a v-shaped headphone with really good bass for an open back and a great sound stage to boot. I've driven my X2's from my Schiit stack with Vali 2 amp and they sounded great. Might be what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back